Sign in to follow this  
HUNTnTAT2

Mountain Goat on Kaibab

I've seen mountain goat herds 4 hours ne of there so I'm not surprised.

Well the Kaibab is 4 hrs from Crown King so guess I wont be surprised the next time I see a buffalo wander through there.

😀

I've seen mountain goat herds 4 hours ne of there so I'm not surprised.

Well the Kaibab is 4 hrs from Crown King so guess I wont be surprised the next time I see a buffalo wander through there.

Then it's your lucky day, get a hotel room, push the lucky envelope.

I said ne.

La Sal

heres some info on Mountain goats in Utah. I had to look it up. I didnt know they had any up there.

https://www.hcn.org/issues/46.22/non-native-goats-in-utahs-la-sal-mountains

Mountain goats aren’t native to Utah, but since the 1960s, they’ve been introduced to a dozen mountains around the state for hunters and wildlife aficionados. Despite the fact that Utah is several degrees in latitude below the goats’ native range in Washington, Idaho and Montana, the animals are thriving. There are now some 2,000 of them, and they’re extraordinarily popular: In 2012, 7,999 hunters applied for the 161 available tags, which cost between $400 and $1,500. A mountain goat viewing in Beaver, Utah, brought 2,000 tourists to the town of 2,500.

Justin Shannon, the big game coordinator for Utah’s Division of Wildlife Resources, was also at the meeting, making the case that goats do more good than harm. “As an agency, if we have an opportunity to expand our wildlife populations for the hunting and viewing public, we go for it,” he told me later. Like all big game in Utah, the goats and their habitat will be carefully monitored, and any damage will be mitigated by reducing the population. With goat populations decreasing in parts of their native range, some biologists think that transplants in Utah, Colorado, Nevada and elsewhere may even help the species survive.

This is our backyard mountain range, and we don’t want invasive ­species here.”

But why put them in the isolated La Sals? Shannon told the board that the state is simply restoring an ungulate to an alpine community: Bighorn sheep were sighted in the mountains in the 1940s and ’50s, but can’t be introduced because they’ll contract diseases from the domestic sheep that graze at lower elevations. Goats, then, are the next best thing. Decades of study by state biologists elsewhere in Utah show no negative impacts on habitat or vegetation — a fact that the Utah Bowmans’ Association, Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife and other hunting advocates reiterated at the wildlife board’s meeting.

But many Utahns who traveled to Salt Lake City for the chance to speak to the board — including mayors and commissioners from decidedly conservative counties — dispute that logic. The La Sals are smaller, drier and less well-vegetated than other ranges where goats have been introduced. With limited forage and a higher proposed goat density (four per square mile in the La Sals compared to 1.7 elsewhere), the anti-goat faction fears the animals will trample and overgraze alpine ecosystems. There’s also a question over the methodology of state studies, and no evidence that bighorn sheep actually lived in the La Sals to begin with: “One sighting by somebody … is not substantiation that (sheep) used to be up there all the time, regularly grazing,” Chris Baird, executive director of the Canyonlands Watershed Council, told the board.

I had no idea they were transplants.

I've also seen them at 9700' at La Jara Reservoir. A herd crossed the busy hiway there and several goats were nearly hit by lapsidazical drivers.

Not legal to shoot according to one g and f officer

If you ask 10 different game officers the same question I bet you get multiple answers. Did he tell you what law one would be breaking if the mountain goat was shot in AZ?

• Like 2

That would be a tricky one,I believe because its a Legal Big Game animal in a neighboring state.

things you are allow to shoot with out license and tags are invasive species Like emus zebras African lions tigers giraffes crap like that.

That would be a hard one to get by on. some G&F guys would say yes others would say NO..

Guaranteed this, you shoot it someone will get jealous and complain then they will find away to charge you, if there already isnt a law saying so.

Unless I had it in writing from and Game and Fish exec I wouldnt pull the trigger.

what is going to happen is with this sighting there will be people finding out if they legally can if so, there will be a ton of people up there looking for it. I am sure they guy who saw it has already been in contact with G&F crap I would throw my 13 hunt away to find that thing if it was legal.

• Like 2

Maybe a ewe?. Either way I'd smoke it.

Not easy to tell the Nannys from the Billys.post-11051-0-83133200-1532901415.gif

Wiki says they're solitary animals but I've seen them from Banff to central CO and they were always in groups.

Not legal to shoot according to one g and f officer

If you ask 10 different game officers the same question I bet you get multiple answers. Did he tell you what law one would be breaking if the mountain goat was shot in AZ?
Youre probably right

I would shoot it with my rifle for my archery tag I have in Utah. :ph34r:

• Like 1

That would be a tricky one,I believe because its a Legal Big Game animal in a neighboring state.

things you are allow to shoot with out license and tags are invasive species Like emus zebras African lions tigers giraffes crap like that.

That would be a hard one to get by on. some G&F guys would say yes others would say NO..

Guaranteed this, you shoot it someone will get jealous and complain then they will find away to charge you, if there already isnt a law saying so.

Unless I had it in writing from and Game and Fish exec I wouldnt pull the trigger.

what is going to happen is with this sighting there will be people finding out if they legally can if so, there will be a ton of people up there looking for it. I am sure they guy who saw it has already been in contact with G&F crap I would throw my 13 hunt away to find that thing if it was legal.

How does AZ handle Barbary Sheep or Persian Ibex or Gemsbok if they show up over there?

I know a guy that found a nice barbary ram in az. While he was watching it he called g&f to ask if it was legal to shoot and was told that if he did, he would be cited. That being said, i think if he did shoot it, g&f couldnt have done anything about it.

• Like 1

I can see why exotics that were imported from a different continent (hogs, tahr, auodad, ibex, oryx) would be fair game to take out. But I would argue that a North American game animal with conservation efforts in a neighboring state should be viewed differently. I realize that they were introduced in UT/CO.

Moose are only addressed in definition of "cervid" in the regs, so does that mean its legal to shoot one if it wanders into AZ?

• Like 3

I can see why exotics that were imported from a different continent (hogs, tahr, auodad, ibex, oryx) would be fair game to take out. But I would argue that a North American game animal with conservation efforts in a neighboring state would be viewed differently. I realize that they were introduced in UT.

Moose are only addressed in definition of "cervid" in the regs, so does that mean its legal to shoot one if it wanders into AZ?

Thats actually an issue they have had in Nevada as Moose from ID expand their range southward. Several have been shot just inside the border, desk its it being a crime. Some are mistaken for elk, some are just shot for novelty. But for a species which has so many other troubles in so many other areas, its a shame that poaching/novelty killing has become a barrier in places where they are doing well.

• Like 1

"That would be a tricky one,I believe because its a Legal Big Game animal in a neighboring state."

That is the reason I asked about the species I did. Those are Big Game species here but they are trying to keep them from expanding out of areas. Aoudad you can buy a state wide/year round license for except for the draw areas. Persian Ibex they are trying to keep on the Florida Mountains so you can buy a year round off area tag. The gemsbok they are trying to keep on WSMR so they have off range hunts. So if the laws don't address the issue what is the correct answer? What if it were a wolf rather than a mountain goat? If the G&F dept. did not reintroduce them they should be considered feral. I would not kill a mountain goat or moose just because I could under the law. I think about the best advice I was ever given...."Think about what you do if it were on the front page of the newspaper". I would hate for the anti's to have anymore ammunition.