Sign in to follow this  
broadhead

First time scouting this season, first mountain lion spotted

Wasn't quite sure which section to put this so since I was scouting for deer in Arizona I put it here.

Finally got a chance to do a turn and burn on Friday to head up to the mountain and hang a different trail cam and check out a new vantage point to glass an area I spotted a few bucks last year. Finally got there with only about an hour of light remaining and started looking up travel routes as the shadows started to get longer. It was also the first time I've got my new Swaro 12s out for a good test in the area I hunt (as opposed to random mountains and valleys closer to home). Before long I caught the telltale rusty brown fur and horizontal back moving against the brush. I started to look for horns but instead saw a long thick curved tail. I know guys have seen plenty of cats before but it was the first time spotting a mountain lion and I was really excited to see it. I wasn't happy to see it in the canyon I'm hunting but at I had to remember it's HIS canyon, not mine. I got to watch him from about 500 yards broadside as he casually made his way along, stopping to survey his surroundings. Eventually he slinked up onto a boulder on the edge of some cover and sat his butt down for a minute just like a house cat on a window sill. Then he was gone.

It was a really cool experience and I hope to see him again while I'm out there although I'll have a lion tag and rifle with me next time!

Good luck out there, everyone. Archery season is just around the corner!

• Like 7

Yikes, I have seen pug marks before. One evening my brother came into camp right behind me and had a cat run across the trail right it front of him. Very special, time to get your lion tag?

• Like 2

Always exciting to see cats. I’ve only glassed one up once and bumped into a couple hiking and driving. Makes for a very cool day

• Like 2

Seem to be more and more..

I glassed up four last year and last week got some really cool trail cam lion photos....

They are all over...

• Like 1

Seem to be more and more..

I glassed up four last year and last week got some really cool trail cam lion photos....

They are all over...

might be on to something

took my family 12 years to see our first now we have seen 5 in the last 3 years

only see one while hunting quail. jump out of that mexican hey grass. Now when i walk through it trigger finger is ready, im just not the same

• Like 1

The more I think about it the luckier I feel to be have been able to watch one undisturbed for almost 15 minutes. Even though I know the odds of turning him up again in that spot are slim it's going to be hard to glass that area well for deer from now on. I'm going to have to fight the urge to turn my glass back to where I first saw him! It got too dark to hang my trail cam that night (and hanging out a few hundred yards from him in the dark didn't seem like a good idea) so now I really want to get out and put a couple up and see if he shows up.

Its a good thing you didn't have a rifle and a lion tag in July, because the season for lions did not open back up until Aug 24th. Its is no longer open all year. And has zone limits/quotas like bears now, so you are required to call or know before you pull the trigger if the quota has been met already. Really stinks. Probably will stop buying a lion tag personally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildwoody said:

Shoot him in the face

Careful Woody!!  Dave will come on here attacking you for saying such a comment! :)

Dave's disappeared, I miss his ignorance , but that's what my brother in law says, got it off some movie, but your right don't want him picking on my IQ again.

On 7/30/2018 at 6:38 AM, AZAV8ER said:

Yikes, I have seen pug marks before. One evening my brother came into camp right behind me and had a cat run across the trail right it front of him. Very special, time to get your lion tag?

Wtf is a pug mark? I didn't even know we had wild pugs in az...lol

Always cool to see a lion and even more awesome to watch them when they don't know you are there. I have been fortunate to have seen quite a few but rarely see them first.