Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Looking for pros/cons on these two rigs.

Starting with 2003-2008 used models......

According to craigslist they aren't even in the same price range and I am curious as to the why?

I have owned an older model Tacoma but am fighting with the prices.......I loved the Tacoma I had......

I can't say much about the Tacomas as I have never owned one and think brand bashing it stupid. I hear they are great trucks.

But my 2008 Nissan Frontier was the best and most reliable truck I have ever owned until it finally started to have major transmission issues a couple of months ago right at 210,000 miles, at which point I traded it in. Until that point, I drove it everywhere and through everything (many hunts with it). I even once drove out with two whole elk (gutted) in the bed. It never spent a day in the shop. Just oil changes, brakes, tires, batteries, etc. All the routine simple stuff I did myself. If I were in the market for a small truck, it would be the first thing I would look at. If I am not mistaken, they are considerably less than the Tacomas.

Good luck

• Like 1

I agree about insulting other owners, love my 2015 Tacoma, my son has a 2002 at 225000 miles no problems, great resale value. I think it's all brand preference. I have never owned a nisson so I can't give a comparison.

I wouldnt get a nissan (personal opinion). They just feel really cheap, flimsy sheet metal, bad trannys, and cracked exhaust manifolds.

• Like 1

Can you get by with a 4RUNNER or a Sequoia? I had this discussion with my brother yesterday and his thoughts were that the alternative Toyotas were less costly for equal miles & years. He got his 2006 Sequoia with 160K mi for 8K

I have owned several Toyotas (Tacomas and 4Runners) and we have quite a few in our work fleet as well (Tacomas, 4Runners, Tundras). I love them. We had a couple Nissan Frontiers as well. In my opinion, they are like apples and oranges. I MUCH prefer the Toyotas.

And you can fit a decent sized bull in a 4Runner too.

• Like 3

I have owned both. My Toyota has been my favorite truck ever. I was a Nissan guy before the Toyota. They cost so much more because people will pay it. I don't think I wouldnt hesitate to buy a good Nissan truck either though.

I wouldnt get a nissan (personal opinion). They just feel really cheap, flimsy sheet metal, bad trannys, and cracked exhaust manifolds.

as opposed to the cheap metal fenders and plastic bed on the Tacoma? Both have chincy body panels. That being said, I love my Tacoma!

I've never owned either of those actual models, but I've owned trucks from both companies (mostly Tundra's or the older Toyotas before the Tacoma). The Toyotas seem much more solid, better skid plates, etc. than did the Nissans. I've had very good luck with Toyota trucks, with my previous Tundra having good resale value even with 228,000 miles on it, with almost everything original but a little transmission work 110,000 miles into it. I don't even look at the Nissans anymore.

My buddy had an xterra and it was a decent SUV but a complete dog on power.

as opposed to the cheap metal fenders and plastic bed on the Tacoma? Both have chincy body panels. That being said, I love my Tacoma!

Really? That's sad to hear. I've never owned either but worked on a few of each. I was amazed at how thin the fenders were on the Nissan. Didn't notice that on the tacos. I'm a ford fan boy so that's all I really know :]

Without being a jerk, I think post #2 confirmed my initial response before I read anything else.

From the owner of an '02 Tundra with 270k, it's that 3rd 100,000 miles and beyond that makes a Toyota what they're worth.

That, and the fact they rarely, rarely leave you stranded after going anywhere they are taken.

• Like 1

Can't say anything about the new ones but back in the 80's my Dad was buying Nissan and my Uncle was buying Toyotas. I got the 85 Nissan and 87 Nissan 2nd hand. Sold the 85 when I got the 87. The only difference I could tell was my Nissan towed my Uncles 66 Willys better than his Toyota, more HP. They all got over 150,000 miles on them with just routine maintenance. I had 288,000 on the 87 when I totaled it. I like the fact Nissan now has a diesel if you plan on doing much towing.

• Like 1