Sneaker

Archery Hunting within 1/4 mile of a building

Is this still allowed or was it banned with the recent reg changes? I know it was being considered at one time. If banned, when does/did it go into effect?

Except for a few towns and note #32 it is still legal for now to hunt within 1/4 mile of occupied building but i believe April 19th 2019 is when the new rules will go into effect.

• Like 1

So what's the new law going to be?

New law will be same as gun law, no hunting within 1/4 mile of occupied structure without permission.

Found it, looks like it will now be statewide ban, I believe these are part of the approved new rules that would go into effect next spring or fall:

"The Commission proposes to amend the rule to prohibit the discharge of hybrid device, arrow, or bolt while taking wildlife within one-fourth mile of an occupied farmhouse or other residence, cabin, lodge or building without permission of the owner or resident, to increase consistency between statute and rules. This language mirrors statutory language under A.R.S. § 17-309, which prohibits a person from discharging a firearm while taking wildlife within one-fourth mile of an occupied farmhouse or other residence, cabin, lodge, or building without permission of the owner or resident. This change is in response to customer comments received by the Department"

440 yards for a bow.....interesting.

It's really not about safety as much as it is keeping it away from the non-hunting public and private property. I have a house south of Prescott in the mountains. We have deer all over our neighborhood, including some pretty decent bucks. In talking with some of my neighbors I've been told that they still have problems with people driving the roads through the neighborhood and "hunting" out of peoples yards.

There was a story I read on this site a few years ago about some rocket scientist shooting a buck right off the fairway at the golfcourse in Verado. And of course, there's the infamous bull elk that was killed right outside someones yard a few years ago.

As usual, some rude ignorant disrespectful jackasses have ruined it for everybody.

• Like 3

440 yards for a bow.....interesting.

What, does it say that? Lol

A quarter mile. Are the reg authors trying to find humor? And if so, is 440 yards with a bow, ethical? LMAO

AZ seems to have a 1/4 mile set in their mind for some reason. Setting up gun free, bow free, camera free zones sounds like CA is moving east. Sorry I feel like where pubic land meets private land is good enough. If I am on public land and your house is 50 feet from your property line, I make sure I don't shoot towards your house. You can make the "safety" argument but I am not buying it.

The problem is you are trying to appease people more than use beneficial hunting practices. People get use to see what the deem "their" deer, or game species, and then a big bad hunter comes by and shoots them. You need to watch urban bowhunting from back east to understand the problems with this. Coyotes are living in cities because of the easy food source and no hunting. Pretty soon you are going to have mountain lions and wolves in the suburbs because of the easy food source.

I would love to see a mountain lion or pack of wolves take down a deer in somebodies front yard.

• Like 2

More and more stupid people are moving here. !/4 mile 440yds was used so as to not confuse stupid people with different numbers. That rational was used for the cameras also. G&F knows that a lot of hunters are stupid so they try to make it easy to understand their rules. But, it dont never work. Soon on the web cam friday morning they will show some of dem that get caught. :lol:

• Like 1