Sneaker

Archery Hunting within 1/4 mile of a building

1/4 mile equals 440 yards

yeah I just said that

Not that hard to get permission, if owners aren't treehuggers. offer a hind quarter of a deer or elk and gates can be opened and shoot from behind the shed away from house in a safe direction.

One yr. guy let us use his barn- just make sure we knew the difference from an elk and one his horses - lol

• Like 1

AZ seems to have a 1/4 mile set in their mind for some reason. Setting up gun free, bow free, camera free zones sounds like CA is moving east. Sorry I feel like where pubic land meets private land is good enough. If I am on public land and your house is 50 feet from your property line, I make sure I don't shoot towards your house. You can make the "safety" argument but I am not buying it.

The problem is you are trying to appease people more than use beneficial hunting practices. People get use to see what the deem "their" deer, or game species, and then a big bad hunter comes by and shoots them. You need to watch urban bowhunting from back east to understand the problems with this. Coyotes are living in cities because of the easy food source and no hunting. Pretty soon you are going to have mountain lions and wolves in the suburbs because of the easy food source.

I would love to see a mountain lion or pack of wolves take down a deer in somebodies front yard.

When i showed up to our regional meeting and argued about this, i was told that our "demographic" was changing and we needed to be mindful and respectful of people who don' like hunting, and that was the reason for this ruling.

I was also told that people were shooting deer in pine and prescott from the road in other peoples yards (which is already illegal) and this also contributed to the law.

This is pure foolishness. Our mountain towns are so congested with wildlife it's ridiculous. Most states have an urban hunting program of some sort, yet our commissioners, are playing for the raw vegans more and more often.

Arizona needs urban hunting like no other right now. Elk are in my yard nearly every night tearing things up, and we live in an area that 30 years ago didn't have elk.

When i spoke to one field officer, he complained of having to chase down trespassers who were hunting on private property and liked the law. In essence, he was complaining that he had to work when he got to work. Trespassing is already illegal, i don't think the 1/4 mile rule is going to stop drunk phoenix college kids from shooting deer in people's yards in pine. It's already illegal. And to hear a g&f officer gripe about having to cite them. What did he sign up for? to sit in his truck and drink starbucks and listen to keke all day?

get ready for more fun stuff like this.

Heck even Kali is less than that....it's 150 yards....same with several other Western states. I understand 1/4 mile with firearms, but that's a poke even for those long range boyz. :)

• Like 1

AZ seems to have a 1/4 mile set in their mind for some reason. Setting up gun free, bow free, camera free zones sounds like CA is moving east. Sorry I feel like where pubic land meets private land is good enough. If I am on public land and your house is 50 feet from your property line, I make sure I don't shoot towards your house. You can make the "safety" argument but I am not buying it.

The problem is you are trying to appease people more than use beneficial hunting practices. People get use to see what the deem "their" deer, or game species, and then a big bad hunter comes by and shoots them. You need to watch urban bowhunting from back east to understand the problems with this. Coyotes are living in cities because of the easy food source and no hunting. Pretty soon you are going to have mountain lions and wolves in the suburbs because of the easy food source.

I would love to see a mountain lion or pack of wolves take down a deer in somebodies front yard.

Wolves take down elk quite often, in peoples yards, in Alpine

I though the point of hunting as to get out away from civilization and pursue wild animals?

• Like 5

I though the point of hunting as to get out away from civilization and pursue wild animals?

Are you crazy? A man could get killed doin that! :angry:

• Like 2

For some, yes. For others its about food on the table. Theres no wrong way to eat an elk roast.

Urban hunts enhance your wilderness experience. All the meat hunters will be in the green belts.

Part of it is some of those guys that live there want to grow them deer trophy size and then take them when they are at their peak. They don't like flatlanders coming up and shooting 90" coues bucks near there spots/houses. And the other half feed them illegally. My grandparents own a cabin up there and there was a good size black bear living among the locals. Pretty sure they never connected the dots feeding deer will draw in the apex killers and then you can't let little Johnny run the streets/hills any more because you wanted to feed and name a feking deer.

Huntin is huntin, whether it's waiting with a pellet gun gun in the backyard for a mouse to come out from under the shed or hiking in miles away all by your lonesome. My guess is we hunterfolk are maybe 2-3% of the population, at least here in AZ.

The ole 1/4 mile was initiated around the travel distance of shotgun, although some States have a 100yd rule for hunting near a residence.

• Like 1

Seems like the anti's or land owners found a way to start killing hunting. Let me explain my thought on why and this is looking at it from NM landowners point of view. A square mile is 640 acres or 25 acres by 25 acres. If I owned land side by side for a total of 25 acres I would have land 1 mile long by 1 acre deep. Now if I put a building on each corner and one in the middle on the fence line, with the 1/4 mile rule I have just shut off 320 acres with my 25. 1/4 of a mile on both sides of my fence would be 1/2 mile by 1 mile or 1/2 of a square mile. If I am a hunter or landowner, I can give access to my hunting buddies or people I sell trespass tags or LO tags to they have 320 acres that I am not giving access to for Joe Hunter.

Now say my neighbor 1/2 mile down the road did the same thing and his land paralleled mine. We have just shut off 690 acres with our 50 being included. Not a good outcome for hunters and yes the anti's are deceptive enough to have thought of this.

Going where the hunting isn't as good just for the sake of saying you're in the wilderness doesn't mean you're more of a hunter than a guy that hunts where the game is

• Like 3

Going where the hunting isn't as good just for the sake of saying you're in the wilderness doesn't mean you're more of a hunter than a guy that hunts where the game is

giphy.gif