Sign in to follow this  
brademan76

Turquoise jewelry or mineral

Looking for a gift for my Mother's 60th birthday. She's into minerals and crystals or would also like some antique turqouise jewelry like a bracelet or bangle.

Can anyone in point me to a reputable shop or private collector in the Phoenix area to find her a gift?

Or anyone on here have anything in their collections they might be willing to part with?

Shes in the Midwest, so minerals from the SW are more exotic to her.

Thanks

I just worked with a guy that is Navajo and he had some awesome turquoise jewelry that his grandpa made. His cousin is in Phx that makes it now using his grandpas technique/skills. Ill try to get you his info. Something interesting though is that you have to be careful on turquoise now because they can replicated using bits and peices along with some kind of apoxy to create voids like the real stuff. So that being said be careful in buying it, his cousin is using the real turquoise in his jewelry.

• Like 2

I got a crap load of the junk if you wanna drive to benson. Raw minerals from around the world and rocks that I dont know what they are. Ill sell you a gold plating machine and the cyanide solution to go with it too.

• Like 2

I just worked with a guy that is Navajo and he had some awesome turquoise jewelry that his grandpa made. His cousin is in Phx that makes it now using his grandpas technique/skills. Ill try to get you his info. Something interesting though is that you have to be careful on turquoise now because they can replicated using bits and peices along with some kind of apoxy to create voids like the real stuff. So that being said be careful in buying it, his cousin is using the real turquoise in his jewelry.

Right, that's why I'm asking for reputable information here and not going out looking for a bargain not having a clue. I know there is a lot of cheap "counterfeit" crap around.

Thanks for passing along his info.

I got a crap load of the junk if you wanna drive to benson. Raw minerals from around the world and rocks that I dont know what they are. Ill sell you a gold plating machine and the cyanide solution to go with it too.

Thanks, but I wouldn't be able to make it there before her birthday - Monday

Thanks, but I wouldn't be able to make it there before her birthday - Monday
no problem, it just sits in cans and display cases til I use it or it gets used.

Some blue or smokie topaz is beautiful, can probably find it on line and have it shipped to her. Out of Colorado

I have a friend in Tucson who has been selling her own jewerly for 20 years plus. Some of it is fossil coral and she can make you anything you want and is a vendor at the Gem Show every year.

She is no kid and in her 70's but a real hoot.

You can tell the epoxied turquoise by heating a needle with a lighter. A hot needle will penetrate epoxy.

A lot of low grade or imitation NA jewelry contains nickle which is much cheaper than silver. I keep an acid testing kit for dealing with precious metals ID.

• Like 2

If she is into crystals and comes out to the valley to visit, the Four Peaks Amethyst Mine does a visit/tour deal twice a year. They fly you up to the mine at the top of Four Peaks in a helicopter and you get to mine a few out of the walls and keep them. You can also pick up all you can carry from the ground in front of the mine. If she can climb a few stairs, she should be able to do it. Someone may need to chisel and pry the stones out of the wall for her but still pretty fun deal.

Could make a pretty neat gift.

• Like 2

If she is into crystals and comes out to the valley to visit, the Four Peaks Amethyst Mine does a visit/tour deal twice a year. They fly you up to the mine at the top of Four Peaks in a helicopter and you get to mine a few out of the walls and keep them. You can also pick up all you can carry from the ground in front of the mine. If she can climb a few stairs, she should be able to do it. Someone may need to chisel and pry the stones out of the wall for her but still pretty fun deal.

Could make a pretty neat gift.

This could be perfect. Thanks, sir!

• Like 1

Minerals?

post-11051-0-45736700-1533323220_thumb.jpg

pyrite and flourite crystals

post-11051-0-66791100-1533323349_thumb.jpg

Chalcedony

post-11051-0-07096200-1533323634_thumb.jpg

Quartz crystal septar

post-11051-0-96158800-1533323777_thumb.jpg

Petrified wood

post-11051-0-98225700-1533323944_thumb.jpg

Aragonite crystal

post-11051-0-38981100-1533324022_thumb.jpg

Native AZ placer gold

Lots more finds available to tickle her fancy. All with known provenance. Gimme a call

thanks