Sign in to follow this  
Brooktrout26

Muzzy sabot question

I have a coues and bull elk muzzy tag this fall. Specifically for elk, wondering your opinions if my 250 grain Barnes T-EZ is adequate or should I up that to the 290 grain? I'm sighted in w/ the 250 grain now and its shooting nice.

i shot the bull in my Avatar with the same bullet. placement placement placement! good luck

I shot the bull in my avatar with a 250 grain Shock Wave. One shot through the heart and he went 20 feet. It is all about placement and shot angle.

I recommend trying both and using the most accurate. Also, see the trajectory between them and make sure it works for you.

Barnes Expanders MZ are all I shoot. I have found the 300 grain bullet and 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 to be extremely accurate out of my Optima. Great results with them too!

post-3211-0-06525200-1533420222_thumb.jpg

post-3211-0-15147300-1533420238_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Barnes MZ Expanders 250grn. Don't look back.

This ⬆⬆⬆⬆

Its what Im using for elk this year.

Even got an email from Barnes and the below is their response to my question 250 vs 300 grain expander

Thomas,

Congrats on drawing that tag. That is awesome! Our 250 gr Expander MZ bullet would be a great choice for that hunt. With 2100 fps at the muzzle that bullet will expand out to 375 yds @ sea level. At 7000 feet elevation you could shoot an Elk out to about 550 yds and still get reliable expansion! The 250 gr is going to give you plenty of penetration plus a higher velocity for greater hydrostatic shock and a larger wound cavity. The minimum impact velocity for reliable expansion with the 250 gr Expander MZ is 1050 fps. The 50 cal 300 gr Expander MZ is 1000 fps. The rest of our muzzle loader bullets are 1100 fps. Performance wise they are pretty close to one another.

• Like 1