Sign in to follow this  
chico

Unattended Fire

A heads up for you all , after a weekend out and about stopped in at Road 181 off 260 to Young .

Found a fire going and no one around . The moron's are out again . Me and wife drowned it out .

I carry extra water for that reason . Be extra vigilant out there , be a shame to have another section of forest go up on account of some idiot not doing the right thing .

Done with the rant ---be safe .

• Like 9

Ive also had to put out some unattended fires.

Cant believe people can be so stupid after all the warnings and stuff.

I know Ive done it on at least 3 occasions and Im a non-resident.

Pretty sad.

• Like 1

That just reminded me of a story. Long ago when I was 20 years old me and a buddy were driving to Bartlett lake in his moms wood paneled station wagon towing a 1953 Jon boat and some Jack Daniels and Vienna sausages when we find an old mattress on the side of the road smoldering from a cigarette being laid under it and lit !!!!!

It was east of the ranger station headed down the hill to the lake and could have set that whole desert on fire.

The butt was under the mattress and you could tell it burned a line up to it.

We put it out and let the sherif know but never heard anything else.

People are nuts

Drowning the person who lit the fire and left it might be a more permanent solution.

• Like 2

Well most "campers" just take stuff for S'mores and something to burn. Doubt any of them always have a shovel, bucket and axe.

And they leave toilet paper and $hit piles around every camp site. Or dump the tanks from their rvs in the woods or down the road as they leave.

Chef from here on the site and I were heading to Young one time from the south side and happened across a fire burning along side the road. So we do the right thing and jump out and run over and put the fire out. Feeling good about ourselves we get back in the truck only to drive down the road about a 1/4 mile and see a sign marking controlled burn area. So much for our good deed.

• Like 5

Chef from here on the site and I were heading to Young one time from the south side and happened across a fire burning along side the road. So we do the right thing and jump out and run over and put the fire out. Feeling good about ourselves we get back in the truck only to drive down the road about a 1/4 mile and see a sign marking controlled burn area. So much for our good deed.

Thats funny as crap buddy of mine and I did the same thing.

we were up in Kaibab just left jacobs lake heading towards big springs by the lake campground late one night. A guy was hauling butt in his truck back towards the lodge. we figured a drunk. so we get right to the turnoff to go down the big dirt road hill. and see a fire not a big one but some smaller ones.

so we get out and grab our 3 5 gallon jugs of water and start putting it out mainly the logs burning, used a shovel on the other stuff. after about and hour of the shovel we figured we would get more water.. climb in the truck and drive back to Jacobs lake. as we were loading the truck with water 2 guys walked to there truck that was parked by the water hand pump as well. and they started laughing. said might as well go into the lodge and get something to eat cause your wasting your time. its a control fire. he said "we passed you going to get more water too, then someone in the lodge told us it was a control fire so we got something to eat. we were wondering if you guys would drive past it or still be out there"

• Like 2