I had picked up a box of 125 grain Badlands Bulldozer bullets to load in my 6.5 WSM. It is a machined copper bullet with aluminum tips and has a high BC of 0.510. This sleek looking bullet is longer than the 130 Berger VLD. https://badlandsprecision.com/category/2/bulldozer

When I first got my 6.5 WSM several years ago, there was not a lot of reload data to be found, so I had to work up based on other data. The closest 6.5 cartridge with the closest capacity I could find was the 264 WM, which had a published case water capacity about 8% greater than the 270 WSM. My own measurements with water in the 264WM was 7% greater than in my 6.5 WSM cases. For a 130 gr bullet in my 6.5, I had also looked at 140gr data in the 270 WSM.

But now the rifle has a new barrel (1in8 Shilen 4R, previous was a 1in8.5 polygonal Pacnor), so I am back to the beginning with load development for this Badlands Bulldozer copper bullet. Since I had good results using Ramshot Magnum before, i started with it again. My target velocity was 3200-3300 with this 125 bullet. Using 264 WM, 270 WSM, 6.5 RSAUM data and Barnes 127LRX data, I figured I could do some charge vs speed testing and watch for pressure signs. I did not know how this bullet would create pressure: faster like the Barnes or e-tip, or like a regular lead core bullet as Badlands makes this statement "and the best part is that our bullets can be loaded just like any conventional bullet." So i put together a set of rounds starting with 61.0 gr Magnum and went up in 1 gr increments to 68gr (my old 130 gr load for the previous barrel used 66.5 gr Magnum). The bullets were seated 0.02" off the lands. Federal 215M primers. This morning, I took the rifle to the pit, set up the ProChrono, and shot the string. 61 gr yielded 2926fps, and 68gr yielded 3234fps on the other end of the string. Velocity increases were not uniform, but were about an average of 44fps increase per grain of powder. No warnings from pressure signs via bolt lift, extremely flat primers, or shiny spots on the base.

Next step is to do an OCW from 65-68 grains in 0.5gr increments. Cases are loaded and ready for the next range session (tomorrow morning?).

Ed1600_6.5wsm125bulldozer.jpg

I hope this helps someone developing loads with a 6.5 WSM. Or if someone has suggestions, I'm open to hearing them too.

• Like 1

Wildwoody, the 6.5 WSM is not factory loaded. I am using 270 WSM brass, resizing it and turning the necks.

Ok thanks, I should have said for the 6.5 creedmore

We should definitely get together soon. I'm having a new barrel put on my 6.5WSM (its a long story) and I could use some local help with it. Nice to know there's another 6.5WSM-guy here in Flagstaff!

• Like 1

Did you take velocity readings on every shot when working up to your max? If so, maybe look into the Satterlee method. It's worked great on my last 2 rifles.

It's not full proof, and you must be very consistent with your reloading method for it to work. But it is a good tool to collaborate what your OCW test shows.

• Like 1

Did you take velocity readings on every shot when working up to your max? If so, maybe look into the Satterlee method. It's worked great on my last 2 rifles.

It's not full proof, and you must be very consistent with your reloading method for it to work. But it is a good tool to collaborate what your OCW test shows.

I use a mixture of the satterlee method. I shoot a ladder test on paper at 300 yards with a chronograph.

I agree with you that if you have good reloading habits and are a decent shot you will have good results.

My targets usually mimic what my chronograph shows me.

• Like 1

I did take a velocity reading for every charge. My main purpose was to see what charges were needed to get to a desired velocity and where pressure became a potential issue. There were a couple of flat spots in the velocity curve, so I will see how they compare to the upcoming OCW test for nodes and groups.

• Like 2

I did take a velocity reading for every charge. My main purpose was to see what charges were needed to get to a desired velocity and where pressure became a potential issue. There were a couple of flat spots in the velocity curve, so I will see how they compare to the upcoming OCW test for nodes and groups.

Good deal. So far, I've been able to find great groups inside of those flat spots. Another thing I get is much more consistent ES between shots, which gives me less vertical stringing at longer distances. Good luck with your testing. Let us know how it goes.

This Saturday morning, I shot the sets of 3-shot groups at 100 yards.  Temp was about 75 degrees and the wind was calm. Charges ranged from 65.0gr Ramshot Magnum to 68.0gr in 0.5gr increments.  This charge range was chosen based on the previous velocity to charge test.   I did not do a round robin shoot as OCW suggests, but shot each 3-shot group separately.  Velocities were measured with a ProChrono.  Between 3 shot groups, the barrel was cooled 10 minutes by running air through the barrel via a 12v air inflator and rubber tubing into the chamber, and wiping a wet cloth over the barrel.  Groups were shot with the Omega suppressor attached.

Here is the data table of velocities, average velocity, ES extreme spread, and SD standard deviation for each set.  Granted, 3 shot groups are not the best for ES and SD determination.

Table1600_DSC4354.jpg

For those OCW oriented, here is a plot of the group centers for each charge weight.

OCW1600__DSC4351.jpg

The first group for 65.0gr magnum was the 2nd smallest at 0.296"

Group65gr1600_DSC4352.jpg

The last group for 68.0gr tightened up from those of 66-67gr and had a lower SD.

Group68gr1600_DSC4350.jpg

Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. 

Next will be to shoot some 5-shot groups of chosen loads, and test the Bulldozer bullet into some media (board, paper and water jugs) from the 6.5 WSM and 6.5 Creedmoor.

• Like 4

Read your article with interest. Good technique leads to good outcome as is evident in your posted targets. Particularly interesting to me were the Bulldozer bullets. Where did you find them or do you have to order direct. Nice article

Dan

Dan/Win71, I ordered them direct from Badlands.  https://badlandsprecision.com/category/2/bulldozer

Next I will try some 5-shot groups of 68.0 and 68.5gr as I think 3300fps is feasible. The groups and SD seemed they were tightening as 68.0 gr was approached.  Also will shoot a couple through layers of board, wax and water to check expansion.

I was interested in seeing the cavity, so a bullet was put in a vise and a hand grinder used to remove the profile. The aluminum tip flung off, so it was lucky to be found.

sectioned1600_DSC4355.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good. I like the numbers associated with 65 grains, and 68 grains. Itty bitty groups wouldn't be my main concern right now. I'd focus on finding a low es and sd. The tight groups will come later when you play with seating depths I'd bet.