Sign in to follow this  
452b264

280 AI load data 162 gr ELDx

Anyone try Hornadys 162 gr. ELDx in their 280 AI? I cant find any load data for Alliant RL 23 and the 162 gr. bullet. I contacted Hornady and they didnt have any load data for Rl 23. Alliant load data doesnt list the 280AI.

Use Sierra 160-165, Nosler 160-168, or Berger 168 load data.

For me, I use RL23 under my 175s. I would start at 54-55 and go up from there, like PRDATR suggested. You should get pretty good speeds. I hit 3030 w. 175s. I would think you could get 3050+.

I also run some 160 TMKs over H1000 for a super stable, yet milder load.  I need to chrono them, but they are ridiculously accurate.

Use Hodgdon H4831SC, and start at 55 grains of powder. The 280 AI is pretty much a 7 Saum. They are ballistically equal. H4831SC is a known performer with the 280AI and the 7 SAUM.

I'm running 58.5 grains of H4831SC in my 7 SAUM, with the 162 ELDX, and have AWESOME results. They like a lot of jump too. Try loading them like .030" off the lands.

• Like 1

I would start at 54g and go from there.

PRDATR thanks for the referral he said his rifle with 162 ELDx and RL 23 hits max at 60.5 and suggested I start at 58 grains. The inventer of the Sherman cartridges suggested 58 grains to start also, and max may be as high as 61/62 grains said he was trying to save me some powder by starting at 58 gr.

• Like 1

I would start at 54g and go from there.

PRDATR thanks for the referral he said his rifle with 162 ELDx and RL 23 hits max at 60.5 and suggested I start at 58 grains. The inventer of the Sherman cartridges suggested 58 grains to start also, and max may be as high as 61/62 grains said he was trying to save me some powder by starting at 58 gr.

I miss the old days when there was no range master at Usery and I could back my truck up to a bench and load rounds right there and with my Ohler 35P come up with a variety of loads.

Good luck with your load development.

Save some time and money. Go to sportsman's warehouse. Buy h4831sc. Work up from min. Shoot good groups. Be happy. I tried 10 different powders in my saum, and have 2 buddies that shoot 280ai's. There's a reason nosler lists h4831sc as the most accurate powder for the 280ai and 7saum. It's on the shelf waiting for you. Or you can do it the long way. My saum can put sub 3/4" groups together at 200 yards. And I'm talking 10+ round groups. None of those I got lucky 3 shot groups.

• Like 1

Save some time and money. Go to sportsman's warehouse. Buy h4831sc. Work up from min. Shoot good groups. Be happy. I tried 10 different powders in my saum, and have 2 buddies that shoot 280ai's. There's a reason nosler lists h4831sc as the most accurate powder for the 280ai and 7saum. It's on the shelf waiting for you. Or you can do it the long way. My saum can put sub 3/4" groups together at 200 yards. And I'm talking 10+ round groups. None of those I got lucky 3 shot groups.

I will give it a try since I already have some H4831sc, I use it for 180 grain bullets for my 3006.

H4832 will be a bit slower than others but yes, for me it's the most accurate and consistent...

I'm at 2,825 and a 168 Bergerfrom a 22" .280 Ackley..

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 9:58 PM, PowellSixO said:

What dies are you using for your 280 AI?

Man, am I the only one that doesn’t have a 280 AI ? 

Have to say that I’m feeling a bit jealous.