Seen lots of pics of bears taking dirt naps, sounds like they are slaying them

Yep seen quite a few dead bears. Sounds like 23 will be closing Wednesday.

23 South has met the annual quota and after Wednesday is done for the year. That sucks.

• Like 1

Seen a lot of dead bears as well. Sadly though, half of them are about 100lb sows. Never understood why people shoot tiny bears year in and year out.

• Like 2

Seen a lot of dead bears as well. Sadly though, half of them are about 100lb sows. Never understood why people shoot tiny bears year in and year out.

I think some people just get excited and don't know how to judge a bears size.

• Like 3

I can honestly see it happening once, because shooting a bear is cool, but I've seen some of the same people shoot little sows year after year. But more power to them I guess.

• Like 5

my nephew shot a full sized boar in unit 1 on Saturday and then video'd another full size bear the next evening. He seems to find a lot of them.

• Like 2

As often as I see them (which is not often at all) I would probably shoot the first one I see out of excitement!! After a couple under my belt for sure I would probably be looking for something big. I get everyones point thought

• Like 4

As often as I see them (which is not often at all) I would probably shoot the first one I see out of excitement!! After a couple under my belt for sure I would probably be looking for something big. I get everyones point thought

I think for most 1 cures them then your always looker for bigger & badder. :)

• Like 1

Well i glassed up 4 bears and 1 lion..not sure what happened to the area I hunt..been going there since 1986...usually only see 2 or 3 other hunters, but this year there were NO LESS THAN 12 trucks/UTVs....so someone must have posted this area to a forum.....this used to be a great area but NO WAY it can handle this much pressure...

I had two bears picked out as I arrived early to scout...had a beautiful color phase bear I had watched for two days on same hill, unfortunately a group of 4 hunters drove in thursday night with their UTVs and camped right near the bear...then opening morning I watched the bear feed and bed down about 1400 yards away...perfect spot to stalk in and wait for him to come out that night, THEN the same four hunters started walking right down the ridge line where the bear was....it seemed they were jumping shooting or still hunting...4 of them...I literally watched them standing on the ridgeline standing looking into the canyon with their hand held binos, while another bear was walking down the hill they were glassing...I literally had ALL four hunters and the bear in the same frame...the bear was about 1700 yards from me one ridge over so the hunters were between me and the bear...I am guessing they were 400 yards from the bear and they never saw it...then all 4 continued walking right down the ridge line to where the bear I was wanting to stalk and they bumped that bear into the canyon as well, never to be seen again...NOT SURE why they decided to walk the ridge line and skyline themselves especially the first hour or so in the morning....I was sick...they blew out two really big color phase bears and had no clue those bears where there....very very frustrating... Guys need to learn to glass away from the bears...find them, then stalk....NOT WALK RIDGELINES during the morning prime time!!! I think they were new to hunting as they were carrying long shooting sticks extended out, couple had what looked like fanny packs you used to wear in the 90's, and another looked like a school back pack....additionally and I dont think they even realized this, but they camped in a spot that has access to a canyon...they had all their tents and tables in an area that nearly blocked access to the canyon .... I am sure they were surprised when they got back to camp and saw ATV tracks right through the middle of their camp...I literally had to maneuver around the tents, guidelines and tables to get through to access the canyon....I hope they did not use the structure they were camped near....HANTAVIRUS is fatal ......got to love public access...

Then the next morning another setup about 300 yards from me...again driving their UTV right after first light....about 30 min later four shots rang out so I hope they got their bear...unfortunate for me but hey that is public land hunting....

Take it for what it is worth....DONT BE WALKING AROUND AT FIRST LIGHT hoping to bumble into a bear....Likely all you are doing is bumping them out of the area for YOU and other hunters...

Super frustrating when you bust your butt, scout, setup, glass find a bear only to have guys just still hunting through an area pushing the bears out....blessed with public land, but dang guys, get yourself some good glass and let your eyes do the walking...you will see more game and bust out less game out of the area....

I hope GAME AND FISH changes the rules...I think they should close area based on total harvest and not just sows.....this area I am talking about can not handle 15-20 hunters shooting every single bear....especially since most of these hunters shoot the first bear they see regardless of size (I hope they watch long enough to see if they have cubs!)

Glassed up a big Lion as well, but G&F decided to close Lion hunting until 24 Aug, WHY!!!!????? I could have taken a nice tom, but he is still out there eating the deer!!!

We all feel your pain in one way or another. Some of my childhood spots have long been desecrated by others(I had nothing to do with it :) Sounds like it is time to start over and scout a new spot away from the masses.