The Deer Guy

AZ Unit 23 Archery Deer

Hey guys/gals,

First time posting so here it goes. I’ve been planning a trip for AZ archery deer in September and I’ve finally narrowed it down to unit 23 (mainly because my buddy lives in Payson). I’ve been scouting the unit with On X maps and I’ve dropped pins on a bunch of water holes, glassing knobs, etc. I’ve never been to the area and I was just wondering if anyone has tips. I don’t expect people to give out their honey holes and I know the deer numbers are fairly low but any help would be appreciated. Just general information would be great like what elevation to look at, what vegetation to focus on, pretty much anything would be awesome.

thanks,

Josh

Literally the whole unit holds deer so I would pick an elevation and hunt it. You can sit water or just off a trail and do well. if you are in the pines a pair of pocket sized 10x25's will serve you well and whether you are in pines, junipers or desert spot and stalk is a lot of fun.

• Like 2

Thanks for the intel guys! Prdatr, that’s good to hear that there are deer all over throughout the unit I’ll be hunting the pines but I’m hoping to find some places to put my glass to work. I’m mainly hunting for mulies but I’m definitely not going to pass any chance on a good coues.

• Like 1

Just pick a spot on the map and jump on it.  You will find deer

Image result for finger on a map gif

• Haha 2

in 23 deer are pockety so you might glass and see nothing move 1 canyon over and they are there. the lion in my avatar is from 23.

good luck

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zeke-BE said:

Just pick a spot on the map and jump on it.  You will find deer

Image result for finger on a map gif

I didn't see a single deer.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, maximus said:

in 23 deer are pockety so you might glass and see nothing move 1 canyon over and they are there. the lion in my avatar is from 23.

good luck

Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind. Lots of lions in 23?

5 hours ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Get in line and drive up and down Young Road like everyone else does.

It’s posible to kill deer with a bow in 23 with out driving up and down any road.  That’s all I’ll say 

• Like 2

Guest akaspecials
1 hour ago, oz31p said:

It’s posible to kill deer with a bow in 23 with out driving up and down any road.  That’s all I’ll say 

Lies! 

Concord rd, walk the pines of the right side after whispering hope ranch, I've chased tons of mulies in there, ya I never connected..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

I didn't see a single deer.

You didn't see the two legged dear laying on the pool floaty in the back yard of that one house? Need to upgrade your optics.

• Like 1