davehc130

Podcasts are ruining hunting areas

So are hunting podcasts helping or hurting hunting?

i hear all the time that hunter numbers are down but my experience is that I see way way more hunters in areas I hunt especially over the last 3-4 years

so what is causing this.  The thing that I believe is driving more hunters into my areas are the podcasts that specifically identify hunting units.

i support guys ability to generate $ with pod casts as well as helping to educate hunters with skills, but here is my beaf. There are a couple of podcast that directly discuss specific units and areas within those units.  As an example I have hunted an area for years, over 30 years and I have seen very few other hunters and this year I experienced about 8x increase in the number of hunters.  I can tell you this area CANT support these numbers and the area is going to get decimated... only difference I can attribute is pod casts that recommended this area...

so what do you guys think? Support podcast but ask they stop identifying specific areas to hunt??

• Like 1

Haha first thing I thought was Jay Scott as well.  

I don't think there's anything really you can do about it.  You're really not sure if it is the podcast that contributed to the increase in your area anyhow.  Maybe it was the guy at sportmans or the fella at the bar.  Who know's what may have contributed to the increase, have you checked the game and fish website to see if they noted the area on the hunt unit info page?

2 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I would agree that podcasts and social media have basically ruined our little secret of leftover tags. 

This I would agree with, you could also add to that the hunting apps now available with tag info included.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, elecshoc said:

Haha first thing I thought was Jay Scott as well.  

I don't think there's anything really you can do about it.  You're really not sure if it is the podcast that contributed to the increase in your area anyhow.  Maybe it was the guy at sportmans or the fella at the bar.  Who know's what may have contributed to the increase, have you checked the game and fish website to see if they noted the area on the hunt unit info page?

I have seen significant point creep (multiple points, not just the usual 1 or 2) in a couple of my preferred areas in draw cycles directly after Jay has had focused discussions about those areas on his show. I asked him about it one time and he shrugged it off and said, "There aren't any secrets about any areas anymore anyway." I don't necessarily agree with that. Oh well, he has every right to talk about it on his show, but I don't like it either.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rossislider said:

I have seen significant point creep jump in a couple of my preferred areas in draw cycles directly after Jay has had focused discussions about those areas on his show. I asked him about it one time and he shrugged it off and said, "There aren't any secrets about any areas anymore anyway." He has every right to talk about it on his show, but I don't like it either.

Yeah I understand the point creep and I do understand that part of the issue.  I'm just understanding this as two different issues.  The first part and what I understood as the OPs point was the disclosure of an specific area to hunt, meaning a specific drainage or so forth.   

When it comes into the draw, there are multiple places where people find the info spoon fed to them.  Not only on Scotts podcast but also from newbergs and with the hunt apps available.  

Other than 4b which is the premierr trophy elk unit in Az, I always hunt sucky areas so I have not seen any difference in the last many years.

In my OPINION,another BIG difference I have noticed is the proliferation of UTVs roaming about. It has become a cancer in our sport. I am a firm believer that the introduction of the utv has made hunting "easier" or more accessible (if in beleif only) to the "average joe" hunter so now they can go further and longer.

Thankfully I get OFF the road so I don;t have to worry about 90% of those guys....

As a disclaimer, I DO use a utv, but only to get to a trail head or when I am toting kids.

• Like 7

If the "good spots" are getting ruined, will that by nature cause other areas to become the  new "secret spots"? Won;t the animals just move to create new "secret spots"? Isn't that how it has always worked? Then the podcasts will be sending all the internet warriors to the same spot that is already saturated.

Not defending them, just saying it is not the end of the world.

And it is always cyclical anyway. Once all these people go to the "secret spot" with 50 other people and fail, they won't go back and word will get out that that spot sucks now. A little time later it will be good again.

OR...it could just be bad luck and timing. I have been to an area that had tons of guys at the same time one year and NOBODY the next year.

But, yes, I do agree that the interweb and podcst type info has done some damage to good areas. It has also done a lot of good in spreading our sport. I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

Circle of life......lol

8 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Other than 4b which is the premierr trophy elk unit in Az, I always hunt sucky areas so I have not seen any difference in the last many years.

In my OPINION,another BIG difference I have noticed is the proliferation of UTVs roaming about. It has become a cancer in our sport. I am a firm believer that the introduction of the utv has made hunting "easier" or more accessible (if in beleif only) to the "average joe" hunter so now they can go further and longer.

Thankfully I get OFF the road so I don;t have to worry about 90% of those guys....

As a disclaimer, I DO use a utv, but only to get to a trail head or when I am toting kids.

The recent addition of new "roads" since the popularity boom of the UTV is staggering. 

• Like 1

I've been glassing off of a certain spot for many years now. Multiple times every year. it is not much of a walk, maybe 1/4 mile and a couple hundred feet elevation gain. Two weeks ago i went in there only to see that people in the last few months have started driving off road and up to my little perch. it has never been a secret really but come on! how lazy do you have to be? needless to say, i lost one of my favorite glassing points. the worst part is, i passed a guy coming out that had a UTV with a couple young kids in it that obviously had driven up it. one way in one way out. I wish i had known that he drove up there when i passed him. I have to get into confrontations with people nearly every year that i see leaving gates open, throwing beer cans out the window or driving off road. Really setting a good example for the kids. 

• Like 2

Found many vehicles off road back when I first started hunting in CO, including in wilderness areas. I've always written down the license plate or vin number, and taken a picture of the vehicle/ATV, with my current gps coords to send to the local game warden, along with confirmation that I am willing and able to testify should it be needed, which it was once (vehicle in a wilderness area).

Guest akaspecials

Hunt wilderness areas and support the designation of wilderness and non motorized areas. You won't see many people if you hike over a mile from the road, especially if you head uphill. 

If a specific unit is being discussed, find a unit that isn't being talked about. Hot spots change over the years with pressure and other environmental factors. Unless they revoke the 1st amendment, you just gotta adjust if people talk about certain units.