davehc130

Podcasts are ruining hunting areas

i haven't heard a podcast for jay scott that talks specific spots. unit yes but never where in the unit, the people the hunts those units know what he is talking about but not a new guy that listen the podcast for areas, i think those podcast are informative and entertaining, just my opinion.

like big browns said a lot more positive then negative.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, maximus said:

i haven't heard a podcast for jay scott that talks specific spots. unit yes but never where in the unit, the people the hunts those units know what he is talking about but not a new guy that listen the podcast for areas, i think those podcast are informative and entertaining, just my opinion.

like big browns said a lot more positive then negative.

I never mentioned a specific podcaster.  However they do in fact discuss specific units and even canyons 

Podcasts are a part of social media just like this website, facebook and instagram.  One says something about a good buck or bull in unit #x, and bam, more people put in the next season for that unit and the draw % goes down. 

You take or tell your buddy about a good spot, and now everyone knows.  A secret is inversely proportional to the number of people that know.  Why do some blur the background in their trophy photos?

Some have recently complained about the number of deer permits in each unit, but they are only about half of what they were 20 years ago.  Drought, forage, predation, hunter success, that effin survey, and G&F budget all effect the permit numbers.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of guides or utvs  and especially people continuously moving to az. But, I have learned some pretty good information about deer and elk habits and hunting techniques from pod casts. It's frustrating to have to deal with the tags getting harder to get and more people in the field. But I will just keep adapting and evolving to continue to pursue my passion. The original hunters used sticks and stones with no shoes to hunt. I'm sure we will be ok. Hunt on.

• Like 3

With i million people moving to AZ. every 10 years or less if only 10 k of them are hunters ,our odds are really going down. I and buddies just started putting for more States , thats all You can Do.........And get off Your atv and hike in further,,,,,,,,,BOB!

I've never really been in to podcasts, so I don't know what information is being shared? As far as all the people moving here, lets just hope they are not the ones fleeing California. I saw what happened to Montana, when the California transplants started moving in.

• Like 1

Arizona? Never heard of it.

thought this was southeast California.  

Can’t trap, can’t bow hunt near houses, can barely hunt cats, that will soon do away.

on topic, from time to time I listen to Bryan Call or Aron Snyder.  I’m not religious about them.

I remember this one time where Aron Snyder talked about a guy who broke up with his girlfriend (who knew his best hunting spots.)The next season she brought her new boyfriend into his favorite hunting spots and he killed a big buck right front out from underneath him. 

I always keep a good area in that hat to take the newbies to.  But the best spots, are mine.

• Like 3

On 8/16/2018 at 3:08 PM, akaspecials said:

Hunt wilderness areas and support the designation of wilderness and non motorized areas. You won't see many people if you hike over a mile from the road, especially if you head uphill. 

With all due respect, Congress has no business designating new wilderness areas and federal land management areas shouldn’t be increasing non motorized areas. I agree with you about getting a mile away from roads to hunt.

I enjoy the opportunity to hike into the existing areas but don’t care for the issues created by more special designations. 

Regarding the OPs topic, Media platforms give many listeners or viewers a place to start if they are unfamiliar with the area or state.

It can be frustrating due to the increase in interest but at the same time as a result of getting away from the crowds I’ve discovered new areas that I enjoy visiting/hunting. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SWDesertRat said:

With all due respect, Congress has no business designating new wilderness areas and federal land management areas shouldn’t be increasing non motorized areas. I agree with you about getting a mile away from roads to hunt.

I enjoy the opportunity to hike into the existing areas but don’t care for the issues created by more special designations. 

Regarding the OPs topic, Media platforms give many listeners or viewers a place to start if they are unfamiliar with the area or state.

It can be frustrating due to the increase in interest but at the same time as a result of getting away from the crowds I’ve discovered new areas that I enjoy visiting/hunting. 

+1000

why is it the fed has more say over local land than the county does?  I’m all for wilderness, but at the decision of the locals.

If a podcast or other form of social media sends a bunch of hunters into a previously lightly used area you can be a sheep and just follow along or you be an individual and do the research to develop new areas to hunt that are not as crowded, at the current time. Observe the patterns of the other hunters just like you would an animal you were patterning and adapt. Even before pod casts and social media I have had to do this because to many other people figured out "my" spot and it got crowded. Pod casts and social media can rapidly accelerate the process but it has always been part of hunting.

11 minutes ago, 300RUM said:

If a podcast or other form of social media sends a bunch of hunters into a previously lightly used area you can be a sheep and just follow along or you be an individual and do the research to develop new areas to hunt that are not as crowded, at the current time. Observe the patterns of the other hunters just like you would an animal you were patterning and adapt. Even before pod casts and social media I have had to do this because to many other people figured out "my" spot and it got crowded. Pod casts and social media can rapidly accelerate the process but it has always been part of hunting.

Love the way you minimize the issue.  Lightly used.  No actually the area I was hunting would only support 1 or two bears killed.  This year atleast 6 bears were killed.  Most of them like 150 lbs and sows.   And then you call me a sheep and follow.  Well I have hunted this Area since the 80’s.  Hardly a sheep.  How about this.  How about I start posting where these guides/pod casters are hunting.  You think they would be fine with it?  You think they would just go find another area?  They could scout all year and see few people because the hunters that pile into areas found on the web don’t scout.  They show up the night before the season opens.  By then it’s too late to go find another area.... I’m sure they would just love it if 20 other hunters all of a sudden show up bumbling and stumbling through prime areas during prime time. 

heck some guides even ask you NOT to bring GPS because they are so afraid their spots will become forum knowledge.  And some guides go as far as to NOT take resident clients....

here is the deal, and you need to understand it!!  These podcasters are profiting through their casting, either direct $$$$ through advertising or through sponsorship with free camp, coolers, optics, or increasing client base, then with one f’ing podcast they can be responsible for 10s of thousands of listeners “finding those spots”... of course you will never hear these guys giving their spots away..... heck some of these podcasters don’t even guide in AZ or if they do it’s for premium tags that even if they gave out the unit 99% of the listeners couldnot even hunt it like sheep tags...

Bottom line is these podcasters should give us OTC suckers a break and stop giving out locations and focus on skills etc.  

26 minutes ago, davehc130 said:

Love the way you minimize the issue.  Lightly used.  No actually the area I was hunting would only support 1 or two bears killed.  This year atleast 6 bears were killed.  Most of them like 150 lbs and sows.   And then you call me a sheep and follow.  Well I have hunted this Area since the 80’s.  Hardly a sheep.  How about this.  How about I start posting where these guides/pod casters are hunting.  You think they would be fine with it?  You think they would just go find another area?  They could scout all year and see few people because the hunters that pile into areas found on the web don’t scout.  They show up the night before the season opens.  By then it’s too late to go find another area.... I’m sure they would just love it if 20 other hunters all of a sudden show up bumbling and stumbling through prime areas during prime time. 

heck some guides even ask you NOT to bring GPS because they are so afraid their spots will become forum knowledge.  And some guides go as far as to NOT take resident clients....

here is the deal, and you need to understand it!!  These podcasters are profiting through their casting, either direct $$$$ through advertising or through sponsorship with free camp, coolers, optics, or increasing client base, then with one f’ing podcast they can be responsible for 10s of thousands of listeners “finding those spots”... of course you will never hear these guys giving their spots away..... heck some of these podcasters don’t even guide in AZ or if they do it’s for premium tags that even if they gave out the unit 99% of the listeners couldnot even hunt it like sheep tags...

Bottom line is these podcasters should give us OTC suckers a break and stop giving out locations and focus on skills etc.  

If 6 sows were killed in your spot then yes 23, 24 or 27 can definitely support it.  The rez will make more.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AZkiller said:

If 6 sows were killed in your spot then yes 23, 24 or 27 can definitely support it.  The rez will make more.

hmm so now we are depending on the Rez to fix our over harvest....really...does not sound like a very good plan....harvest was 4 sow all year...they took 6 the first week....maybe more...

Guys complaining about podcassts want us to use more skills!  HUH!  And they are the ones using Cameras I bet. Thats not Skill.........BOB!

Lazyness and people wanting a trophy today screwed up hunting spots. just like it did fishing spots. for some reason the hunters took a while to figure it out. add in technology and it will never be the same. Fagbook and twatter made it even worse. Then you have guides selling information online like prescouting for lazy people. cracks me up everytime I read a post on the north rim or a earlybull elk tag let alone a lope or bighorn tag, everyones going " hire a guide hire a guide"," youd be a fool not to as those tags dont come very often" etc etc posts."

I mean seriously if you just want a rack and that lazy to scout just go buy one hang it on your wall and put your tag on it. you got the tag well before the hunt. even if you didnt have enough time to scout you can always learn the land and drive around the day of your hunt. its really not that hard in AZ to find deer antelope or elk. Granted big horns need to be scouted a little more but heck if you dont have time to scout dont put in for the tag. not to mention why does everyone wait till they gone drawn before scouting? you have a whole year to be driving around and checking out the country side. concentrate on the units you are going to put in for. most elk units are only 3 hours tops from phoenix unless you goto white mountain areas.

Its kinda like getting a participation trophy for not really doing anything.

god help us if people had to figure stuff out for themselves.