nooch2222

Ladder Test Load development HELP!!

I would have to agree with you in theory about holding in the middle of a six inch group and cutting it down to three if the group shot by the rifle was somewhat circular. You didn't answer my question about the wind. The op's rifle was in 6.5 Creedmoor. Gary from Hornady tells me that a Hornady 143 ELD-X going at 2800fps, from a 6.5 Creedmoor has 8.9 inches of displacement at 400 yards with a 10mph crossing. Add that to your three inches at best or 6 inches at worst. If it was me, I would find out if the rifle shot best with a clean bore or a fouled bore, then which ever way it shot the best, I would see if the first shot was consistent at 400, if it was I would practice till I could regularly hit something the size of a deer chest. Just my two cents.

20 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

I would have to agree with you in theory about holding in the middle of a six inch group and cutting it down to three if the group shot by the rifle was somewhat circular. You didn't answer my question about the wind. The op's rifle was in 6.5 Creedmoor. Gary from Hornady tells me that a Hornady 143 ELD-X going at 2800fps, from a 6.5 Creedmoor has 8.9 inches of displacement at 400 yards with a 10mph crossing. Add that to your three inches at best or 6 inches at worst. If it was me, I would find out if the rifle shot best with a clean bore or a fouled bore, then which ever way it shot the best, I would see if the first shot was consistent at 400, if it was I would practice till I could regularly hit something the size of a deer chest. Just my two cents.

If he shoots in a 10 MPH full value wind then he will miss the target regardless if the gun in Sub MOA or 1.5 MOA.    That would put him at 8.9" plus 1.5" (assuming a 1/2 MOA gun).   So basically missing the mark by 10.4".   At that point the shooter needs to gain some skill or not take the shot.   Making the gun a 1/4" gun doesn't make up for missing a wind call.    That is my point.   An MOA gun with a shooter that reads the wind and understands how variables (lots of variables other than wind affect the POI) will affect the POI of the bullet will out shoot a guy that has a 1/2 MOA gun that believes that he can just adjust the top turret and let the bullet rip.

So I guess to answer your question.   If all the other variables are not accounted for.........The accuracy of the rifle isn't the biggest factor in missing a shot.   The difference between a 1/2 MOA gun and 1.5 MOA gun at 400 yards is a max of 2".   Given a  2" circle and a 6" circle.   The crosshairs will be within either 1" of center or 3" of center.    That equals 2" difference.    The wind call you were talking about is a 8.9" miss.    The external variables are more important than a super accurate rifle.

Now don't get me wrong.   My rifle will be really accurate, I will have a fouled barrel (every time), the gun will physically be sighted in at the elevation I plan to hunt, my dope will be for the elevation I plan to hunt, my powder will not be temperature sensative, gun/scope will be level, angle of shot, ect.   You get my point.    I will also verify that the claimed BC of my bullet actually performs as marketed out to 1000 yards.  Or I will make the needed changes in my dope.