Sign in to follow this  
broadhead

How far from your glassing spots do you camp?

Hey guys

One of the most important things I added between this season and last is ultralight backpacking camping gear so I am no longer forced to hike in and out of my spots each year. I have a couple glassing spots that each have the space to set up a small camp so ideally I could set up my camp right there after last light and pick it right back up in the morning when I wake up. The area can be a little tricky to find in the dark so ideally I want to set up right there without having to make my way in or out even a few hundred yards. I'm picking up game at about 500 yards and beyond from these spots so with that in mind would camping there risk spooking the game? Thanks!

We stayed about 1/4 mile from our glassing spot last year. Seemed to work well. GPS your spot so you can walk right to it. At night do your best to eat and go to sleep without too much noise.

• Like 1

I think you would be just fine to camp there if you are quiet. If you have a fire I would block it from view of the desire hunting direction.  Or avoid the fire altogether.

• Like 2

I always hunt from camp and my last AZ buck was a 216 yard shot at daybreak after I hiked about  300 yards from camp.

We hike into glassing areas about :45 min in the dark. Some years its a late start to the day and twice have shot bucks off a hillside 500 yards from a busy, not trying to be quiet tent camp with several people in residence. In the afternoons we don't hunt we glass across a small canyon to another hillside that caries lots of deer its 600 or so yards away. Hope that helps.

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

about 35 miles. i like my bed. 

Me too. Unfortunately I hate the hike out more than I love my bed hahaha!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Used to do a lot of backpack hunting the Wilderness when I was younger and in better shape. We would drop about a quarter mile off the ridge we glassed from to pitch camp. Keep a quiet camp and you won't bother the animals.

• Like 1

ive watched lots of hunting vids of people back packing in waking up and start glassing from camp.  Seems like they always glass up bucks that don't even know they are there

• Like 1

I back pack hunt. I camp as close as possible to my glassing area with out being in the wide open

• Like 1

Deer can be anywhere.. First Coues I ever shot, I was glassing off a point. saw deer half mile away, got up to go them and ten steps later there was a lone buck10 yards away looking the other way. Easy kill.  Then theres Trphyhntr He glasses Pigs from his bar stool .....LOL...............BOB!

• Like 3

Good then I'm okay camping right next to where I plan to glass. I don't know about you guys but my size 12s are not the definition of stealth going up a mountain in the dark...

• Like 1