Sign in to follow this  
Beaton

Azgfd closed roads into my elk honey hole

Went scouting this weekend again in 5bsouth. Pretty rough getting into my honey hole which is why it's so good. Got to my road to get in there. Azgfd sign " No motorized vehicles beyond this point". Went around the backside to come in from north to south same thing. Looks like I'm walking 2.8 miles in now. Although this will make it even better it will be a heck of a pack out. Darn it. I have my dad with me who can't walk that far any longer and he was so dissapointed. I'll have to figure something out for him.

• Like 1

In some units you are allowed to access certain areas by motor vehicle if you have an elk down, that you are not allowed to take the vehicle if the road is closed.

• Like 1

I kind of like the big areas that don't allow motor vehicle travel, until I have to pack my elk out. It's the closure that makes it a better hunting area but the pack out much worse. A blessing and a curse. Last time I hunted 5B South I saw some signs at specified " no motorized wheeled vehicles". I happen to own a bulldozer and thought it would be fun to bring it along. I have 5B South myself this year again maybe we'll cross paths in the field. Good luck finding a spot for your father.

• Like 1
  • Great Buck! 1

I was scouting 5BS on Wednesday and we had a ton of rain!  I’ve got a few places I was trying to check out and the ground was so muddy, and lightning was real heavy.  I’ll get back up the first week of September before I set camp the next week.  I’ll be in a dark brown F150, with a tent camp on the east side of the unit.  Always nice to run into fellow CW folks.  

We will make due and improvise. Mountain bike and trailer has crosses my mind. It rained hard yesterday and it was horribly muddy it took me 5 hours to go 7miles in my truck and almost didn't get out but my buddy is letting me use his ranger for the hunt so that will help me get back in there a little quicker. Gonna see if I can get a hold of game and fish and ask if I can drive around the gate and in only if I have an elk down.

It was the Forest Service not GF.  But funny how GF gets blamed for everything (probably a reason though).  Like mentioned above.  Its a blessing and a curse.  In almost any other western state that amount of distance is the norm.  AZ is just spoiled (is that the right term?  Less roads = better hunting) with roads. 

• Like 1

I wish they would close some more roads in my unit, other than making it tuff on your dad I would say your lucky . 

• Like 1

Yeah I would say that it was more likely the forest service rather than game and fish. I like small sections closed off but not where you need a horse to hunt it. I see their point in being that there are some sections over run with roads, but they took the closures to an extreme.

Just take a bulldozer or tractor like they do and make a road. They prefer to drive the tractors all over the woods cutting down trees, and don't have a problem with it.  But they have a problem with a little two track road even when another road isn't even close to being around it. 

May be forest service. Not blaming game and fish but the white signs on the gates both had game and fish logos on them. Like I said it will just make it better hunting for me cause I have no problem hiking in. Less pressure means more elk and probably better bulls.

If it’s not phisical blocked off or a live person enforcing it expect every one else to blow right on by. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm thinking  FS  is trying to make an effort to  close  the  roads  that they haven't been enforcing.  by  placing  new no motorized  signs   they have probable cause  to  come  find  you if they see new tracks  down  the  road.  plus  several  of  the stakes  have  gone  missing in past  yrs.  I'd  bet if  you had  their  road  closed maps , you'd  see your  road  has  be  closed  for a while .!

Others  acccross the Coconino forest  may  find  new  signs/posts  up in the middle of some of their  rds too!

I was up last weekend again and the closed roads have no signs but some are kind of blocked by logs. Tracks were in the mud and the last time we saw a lot of side by sides using closed roads. When I set up my camp there was a FS truck and trailer and two agents using a side by side looking for violators so they are trying to enforce the rules. I don't see how they can do it all over the units.

IMHO----- I have been out and about  observed road closed signage and abided by it . 

On the other hand a lot of folks don't know how to read or choose to ignore signage . You all can decide which is which . Back to closed road--- I left and went to another vantage point to glass said area and observed two vehicles motoring down closed road..... So much for the signs---

All this will bring is permanent road closures which can be good or bad . 

If you have Junior hunts make it memorable for them so that the wheel keeps rolling .     Best of luck on upcoming hunts . 

It has been awhile since Ive been in 5B but they had a lot of roads closed to off road vehicles but open to street legal only. They did have a few that were completely closed to everyone but not many. It was a pain in the butt trying to navigate with my GPS and the forest service map.