Hoss50

Accuracy Issue *Update*

I am trying to figure out an accuracy issue. The problem is typically on the 3rd shot of a 3 shot group I am getting a flier. Shot 1 and 2 are acceptably close, and the 3rd shot can be an inch or two away, of even worse.

The gun is a CZ 550 full mannlicher style stock in 6.5x55. All stock with a leupold vx6 2-12 scope.

Part of the problem I think is the loads are touching the land for group/pressure testing. 

When I shoot factory ammo I still have the same issue, but since they are not right at the lands it doesn't seem quite as pronounced but still shows up. 

Is this just a product of having full stock with a thin barrel on a hot day? I let the barrel cool between 3 round groups. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Also, just for fun at the end of the day I did a 5 shot string at 200 yard with factory 155gr ammo. Round 1&2 grouped close, the round 3 dropped about 2" lower and 1" right and rounds 4&5 grouped right in there with #3. 

It is pretty frustrating. 

I would bet it's a bedding issue with a full length wood stock. If so I don't know what could be done other than change out the stock as I believe the barrel and stock are banded together at the muzzle.

• Like 1

I would be inclined to try sanding out the barrel channel in the stock so the barrel was floated. You'll still have a light Barrel that can heat quickly and shift point of impact but you won't have the additional complication of pressure points on that barrel from the stock.

• Like 1

I have a number 3 bartlein barrel and usually the third shot starts drifting.  If I wait 2-3 min after each shot for a 3 shot group they group good.  Maybe just shot 1 and wait 2-5 min and repeat.  But 300 rum has a good idea with sanding 

I have a Remington model 700 ADL with a wood stock.  One year I used it on a bear hunt where I was hunting in a steady rain for an entire day.  After that hunt I started having a similar issue.  After a couple of shots the POI would start wandering pretty drastically.  A gunsmith looked at it and determined that the stock warped just enough that the wood of the forestock was in contact with the barrel.  He re-floated it by removing some material from the barrel channel and the rifle has been fine ever since.

In other words, what 300RUM said...

• Like 2

My buddy told me an old saying One shot, animal is probably dead, Two shots, maybe dead, Three shots, animal long gone.

• Like 3

I sanded the barrel channel this afternoon after I finished a bunch of house stuff. 

When I pulled the stock off it had some high spots in it near the base of the barrel, and a high spot where the sling stud started to come through the stock. I sanded all those as well as the left side of the barrel channel that seemed to be much tighter to the barrel than the right. We will see if it helps next time I am at the range. Thanks for the help. 

I might also have this thing bedded to see if that helps. 

I have a several mannlicher rifles. except for the .222; I do not expect them to shoot with sporter rifles or varmint rifles. my  sako 30-06 was good enough to take an arctic wolf. I would try lapua brass and bullets. 

My thumb hurts when I bend it this way, I say to Doc.  Doc says dont bend it that way.😵🙈🙉🙊