Sign in to follow this  
Tres

Coues Camo

What kind of camo are you guys using for hunting coues down south? 

First Lite's layering system has been good for me based almost entirely on comfort and functionality across a wide range of temperatures but if you're concerned with what pattern works best don't worry about it very much. Some recent studies on ungulate's vision show camo isn't all that important so long as you can break up your silhouette and remain still or move very slowly in deer country.

• Like 2

I love the Under Armour ridge reaper barren pattern in most coues country 

• Like 1

ASAT camo last year and this year.  Problems with it: first,  being high contrast, it can catch attention when moving faster than a slow walk , as the Marines found out with their Marine ww2 camo,; secondly, the tan can seem a bit light for real dark monsoonal green areas, and the lastly, the girlfriend thinks the full pants and shirt make me look like I am in a clown suit.  However, sit under some branches, or behind a lone bush and your golden. I toned down one shirt with RIT green dye because the tan was getting too bone-colored tan.   

For what it is worth, have had numerous occasions to watch other hunters, in groups, or people scouting.  My friend and I notice that the darker camo in the cooler season can stick out in the dried out tan.  People in faded dirty jeans or khakis and a grey t-shirt blend in better at a moderate distance, seriously.  Another thought, last year a friend in Predator camo stalked some and his Predator top looked to me like a flannel of brown and white.  He says ASAT looks like a disco shirt in some situations, and blends in very well in others, and he is 'color' blind.  He bought the glasses that correct the colors, and he says that we color normal people are bombarded with too much info compared to him and maybe the deer.  

I did my own camo studies and I like how ASAT helps when the sun is behind you. I hunt real close, and without a bush or something between you and the deer, it gets chancy. Love camo vs non camo, all these threads about concealment.   The second picture is basically what my 2017 deer could have seen.  The last picture is ASAT in the green.  Do your own test, borrowing gear, second hand stores, etc...fun.

IMGP2217.JPG

IMGP2673.JPG

IMGP2634.JPG

Deer don’t see color or depth like humans. If you must use camo, use a paturn you like, made from a material that works for the enviroment your in and made by a company you can afford 

• Like 3

You don't need camo for deer hunting with a rifle was my point....

I'd be more worried about if my crap is gonna get through the catclaw and thick crap that you'll probably experience in coues country south of IH 10....

Nothing better at this than Carharts....

• Like 3

I agree, carhardts with a solid colored long sleeve shirt, army green or khaki colored when rifle hunting and for bow I’ll throw on a leafy wear jacket. The wind and slow movements work whether wearing Camo or not. 

• Like 1

I like walmart camo for down south. The denim type material the pants are made of, go through the cat claw a lot better than lite expensive camo. Lol. I tried wearing my fancy camo the first few days, and it sucked. My expensive camo and I both were torn up after those first few days. Went to good old walmart camo, and won't look back. But carhart would be a great call too. I don't think a camo pattern is near as important as people give it credit. Maybe more important than anything, can be a good pair of gators to keep the fox tails and junk out of your boots and socks. 

Rifle hunting I want to be seen by other hunters.  Red or Orange Bino shade when glassing Rifle or Bow hunting.  Bow hunting in So AZ Tan pants with a desert camo top.  Gaiters and chigger repellent are a must.  🍁🐄  

Hunted with a few buddies down south opening weekend and they had some of the new Kree Camo was really impressed I'm going to get me a set here before to long stuff looked and worked great.