Sign in to follow this  
mbiewer

Youth handgun?

So, with the impending doom of decision making looming upon us for javelina... I have a question for the group.

Can my 14 yr old step son partake in the HAM hunt with us. Obviously he's a minor, but what are the legalities of him carrying for a HAM hunt.

--- I took him on the rifle youth hunt for his first youth hunt. We did Hunter Safety together (both required and wanted to). We helped him out, it was his hunt for sure. had buy in and shared thoughts and steered the hunt. But it was also 2 weeks before my rifle deer. Logistically speaking, it kicked my butt. It was basically pack, hunt, clean and wash all my gear, and start all over. So rather than running the risk of it happening again last year, I put him in with us in the general deer. If he can carry without either of us getting in trouble, I would like to put him in with us on the HAM.

I wouldn’t even think twice about it. He’ll be with you hunting with a tag not walking through the mall or something. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, oz31p said:

I don’t see a problem. But the “a” is for archery 😜

ha ha... yeah, his dad has a bow for him. But I don't know how good he is with it. We do have time for some polishing of skills. But I think his thing is wanting to shoot a pistol. I have a hand me down bow, but I don't think I have near the skills to use it for archery

3 minutes ago, mbiewer said:

ha ha... yeah, his dad has a bow for him. But I don't know how good he is with it. We do have time for some polishing of skills. But I think his thing is wanting to shoot a pistol. I have a hand me down bow, but I don't think I have near the skills to use it for archery

It was worth a shot. Most archery javelina shorts are 20 or less

The short answer is, yes, youth can carry and use a pistol on a HAM hunt.  They just can't buy it until they're 21.  My kids and I are debating on the HAM hunt because they both want to hunt with my .357 revolvers.  Go for it!

On 8/29/2018 at 7:48 AM, mbiewer said:

So, with the impending doom of decision making looming upon us for javelina... I have a question for the group.

Can my 14 yr old step son partake in the HAM hunt with us. Obviously he's a minor, but what are the legalities of him carrying for a HAM hunt.

--- I took him on the rifle youth hunt for his first youth hunt. We did Hunter Safety together (both required and wanted to). We helped him out, it was his hunt for sure. had buy in and shared thoughts and steered the hunt. But it was also 2 weeks before my rifle deer. Logistically speaking, it kicked my butt. It was basically pack, hunt, clean and wash all my gear, and start all over. So rather than running the risk of it happening again last year, I put him in with us in the general deer. If he can carry without either of us getting in trouble, I would like to put him in with us on the HAM.

Yes he legally can my oldest daughter did so at the age of 10 or 11.

if you someone that I know and can vouche for you I have a .243 savage stainless steel striker pistol with scope and ammo and its good out to 400 yrds easy. you can even put a bipod on it. I dont mind loaning a firearm to a kid as long as I know someone that knows the Parents and its ok with the parents and they are with ones with him.

I am on the west side  noticed your on the east side.

• Like 1