Sign in to follow this  
bojangles

2018 elk rut

Went to glass for deer this morning before work and was surprised to see a bull chasing cows and screaming his head off.  The elk were just going nuts.  Unit 22

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

got reports in 9 that there screaming pretty good and buddy saw a Bull mount a cow. Should be a good year to have a tag :0

• Like 2

I was up near Happy Jack Wednesday and it was 43 degrees on the highway so the cold is getting them going. Glad I have a bull tag this year. Good luck to all.

• Like 4

Was in 10 a few days last week and this week. Heard a few bugles at sunrise and sunset. Glassed a herd of about 70-80 and watched two separate pairs of bulls sparring as well. Im thinking its going to be a good rut. 

• Like 1

Just got back from 8.  Bulls kept me up all night bugling right behind camp.  Watched a little 6x5 herd about 20 cows around for about 30 mins. this morning before I left.  I think there were a couple herds together during the night and then they split up at dawn.  The 6x5 stuck around and the other one took some cows and went elsewhere.  Saw some big herds with smallish bulls herding them.  Big boys haven't shown up yet.  Couple more weeks.

• Like 1

I have seen some good action in years past at this time. I think this is when they start to separate from the summer herds. It will quiet down a little then pick back up as the rut peaks.

Was deer hunting in 19a this weekend, seen a nice 6x6 with 14 cows. Pretty surprising to see in the area I was in. Awesome sight though!!

I went into 8 to sit a blind, but when I got to where I have been parking my truck,  there was a herd of elk right in the very spot.   Nice 6x6 running the herd.  I never heard him bugle, but he was making a frequent barking sound.  

There were so many elk along the road at sunrise that I had to keep telling myself "slow down" because at any moment one these elk could step out on front of me and ruin my day.

• Like 1

I feel like it’s been pretty mellow where I have been in the White mountains. It’s pretty hot out and looks like it will be the same during the opener.