mattys281

How do you nuke an old salt lick?

So here's the story:  have a salt lick I've been running for about 12 years now.  It's been good for seeing bucks early in the summer, but not great for hunting season, they usually disperse when the does drop their fawns.  Actually a better spot for elk in august than it is for deer.  This lick is about 1.5 miles down a ridge, no roads or trails.  Never seen another person in there, until this year.  Came in July to check my camera, and it had been rehomed.  I put another one up about 10 ft up in a different tree.  Came back in August and now there's another camera in a lock box on the exact tree that my stolen one had hung from.  My new camera captured a picture of the guy, although not a great one.  He showed up about 2 days after I was there.

I'm fine with moving on, but don't like somebody just swooping in and taking a spot from me, especially when I'm pretty sure the new guy has stolen my moultrie.  I've heard a couple gallons of bleach works wonders.... 

Bleach will work but will burn the noses of any animal that has been used to using it. If you plan another lick anywhere within a mile of that area they may be “gun shy” of a new lick. Not to mention you don’t want to mess with the wild life. Best thing is to start a new one elsewhere. Next best, dig the ground out in a 5’ circle, 2’ down, third best, kill the guy and bury him. Sodium in his body will make a nice lick.

• Like 2

Diesel is the answer. The more the merrier . Its mostly oil and it stays in the ground for a long time. Bleach or ammonia evaporates pretty soon and deer will come back. Don’t ask me how i know, just take my advice. 

• Like 4

LMAO!  I'm liking option 3, but still.....  

I've been told they won't go near the bleach smell, but I don't feel right about pouring chemicals on the ground in the forest.  Plus it's probably a little on the illegal side...

Amazon has a lot of deer repellent products that are organic & biodegradable.  Maybe I'll just try some to that stuff.  I didn't see the guy during deer season or get any pictures of him, so I'm pretty sure he's scouting for elk.  Little does he know, there will be no elk there during the rut anyway, so really I don't need to do anything.  The spot won't produce and he'll most likely give up.

Go to an old lady's house that has many cats. Cut some small squares of carpet where the cats have peed and then hang them in a 360 degree circle around the lick where they can't be seen. Keep refreshing them and the dude will have no idea why any amount of salt thrown out won't attract deer and elk.

Anything non oil based will wear off. You can buy mountain lion scent paste i’ve heard it keeps em off for a little while. 

HOw big of a dik do you have to be to rip down someone else's camera and then slap your own up on the same tree?!  What a jackass.  I can't prove it's him, but as I said, in 12 years I've never even gotten a picture of another hiker/hunter or seen anyone near there in person.  Seems pretty long odds that it was someone else that stole my camera and then this guy shows up later and puts his own up totally unaware....  

Took every ounce of restraint I had to keep from putting a 9mm round through his.

You’re a better man than me. I know someone that had a guy take out their memory card and build a wooden, makeshift treestand on a salt lick. 

I've never tried it but I think hitting the local barbershop and getting a butt load of human hair and then pouring it in the lick could work. At least for awhile.   

3 hours ago, wish2hunt said:

Shoot a couple of coyotes and leave in it, it’s a win win all around.

Sounds like fun in its own right, but I’ve never been much of a predator hunter.  Probably would have better luck shooting a Sasquatch.

i found this stuff on amazon that says it’s all natural, long lasting, organic biodegradable blah blah blah etc etc.  says six pound bucket is enough to cover 5400 sq ft and has good reviews.  I’m thinking to try that.  Should make sure nothing shows up for his elk hunt but wear off by next year so my fawns and does will still have the spot.

plus, like I said before, that spot usually isn’t much for a rut hunt anyway, but it’s not a bad spot for November bull hunts.  The more I think about it, I Want to chase this guy off but not totally ruin the spot.