mattys281

How do you nuke an old salt lick?

Just ran into a similar issue yesterday, noticed a doe in the same exact spot next to the road every day on my way into my salt. Finally got out and walked over to where she was and there’s a salt lick about 20 yards off the road. I’m sure it’s from an old cattle salt block that soaked into the ground so I figured it’s ok to ruin.. dumped about 2 gallons of water? onto it this morning, hopefully it doesn’t affect my salt in any negative way. 

I like to haul 5 gallons or so of water into my salt licks to pour over the salt when it's dry and get it dissolved into the dirt. About 3 years ago I made the mistake of using an old empty gas can to haul my water in. I think just the tiny bit of gas smell left in the can drove the deer away. I did not have any deer hitting any of the salt licks I poured the water over for at least 6 months. I still feel like an idiot about that one

Is get nervous about dumping gas and oil on usfs property.  Especially if cameras are nearby.   I might miss a squirrel 10 or 20 times that was sitting on his trail cam.  

23 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

Why not leave it be. Do you have to take your ball and go home? Just leave it. Or pm me the cords and I'll share the spot with the guy.

As already stated, the person seems to have stolen my camera and then later on put his up on the same tree mine was taken off of.  Hard to feel great about sharing with a guy that's already helped himself to your personal property.

Now, had he just put a camera up on another tree, or heck even right above mine on the same tree, I'd have no issue with that.  It's public land, and a pretty good hike.  Kudos to anyone that finds it on their own.  I think it's the he'll just take my stuff and push me out kinda attitude that gets my panties twisted.  And I'd love to take my ball/camera and go home, but he already took it...

Welcome to the site. ;)

11 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

are you sure its the same dude, putting a cam up where he stole one from just sounds insane

That's exactly why I won't post his picture or anything like that and am really on the fence about what to do.  

I'd absolutely hate to roast someone and then find out I'm wrong.  Or mess up their hunt....  I'm p.o.'ed about losing a $100 camera, but I got a lot of years worth of picture out of it.  Guess that's just the price of intel. 

I'll be back up there in a week or so and I think I'll leave the guy a note with my number and ask if he saw anyone else out there or if he maybe thought it was abandoned or something. 

6 hours ago, Mathews said:

Just ran into a similar issue yesterday, noticed a doe in the same exact spot next to the road every day on my way into my salt. Finally got out and walked over to where she was and there’s a salt lick about 20 yards off the road. I’m sure it’s from an old cattle salt block that soaked into the ground so I figured it’s ok to ruin.. dumped about 2 gallons of gas onto it this morning, hopefully it doesn’t affect my salt in any negative way. 

Did you just admit to purring gas on the ground in the forest, you must be young , why would you do that on the internet. Never give out more info then needed

• Like 2

Just piss in it during the hunt, but it's kind of like planting a tree on a rental property, once it goes into the ground its not yours, why not leave a note saying you set up the lick and would like to chat with no attitude, he may have found it and didn't see a camera and thought it was abandoned. Also I think it has become as bad as corn when it's legal, it's everywhere now, just my low IQ 2 cents

Not sure pissing on it will do anything. Where I cut my teeth hunting there was always a big camp of guys in the same place every single year. They pissed in the same spot most of the time from what we could tell. Deer started hitting that piss spot and it became a kind of salt lick. Always use to jump deer off of it when we drove around the corner 

• Like 2

I shot a deer a few years ago that spent about 5 minutes below my treestand sniffing my pee from the day prior before moving out far enough to meet my arrow.