mattys281

How do you nuke an old salt lick?

Squat in front of his camera and leave a mondo duke.  It won't nuke the site but it will sure be funny.

• Like 1

I'm amazed how everyone here would respond to this situation. What if this guy has been at this spot for 13 years and recently found the camera and he is on the defense because he feels this guy just moved in. I.e. Maybe he took a different path one day and found mattys stuff on the back to the truck and thins.. who is this newbie moving into "my area".   

On 8/31/2018 at 7:37 PM, muledeerarea33? said:

Bleach will work but will burn the noses of any animal that has been used to using it. If you plan another lick anywhere within a mile of that area they may be “gun shy” of a new lick. Not to mention you don’t want to mess with the wild life. Best thing is to start a new one elsewhere. Next best, dig the ground out in a 5’ circle, 2’ down, third best, kill the guy and bury him. Sodium in his body will make a nice lick.

Make sure the hole is no less then 5 feet deep, any less and he will stink. 6 feet is a more dusirable depth.

Oh ya, I saw this on the Internet.

I would have a hard time pouring gasoline on a spot I’ve spent the last 12 years hiking salt to. Maybe he will have a terrible time and be gone in one season. 

• Like 1

I've had some positive responses from leaving my business card on their camera asking to see some pics.  Two have called me and thanked me for leaving their shoot alone and shared what they know about the area.  You could also put some Vaseline on the lens, I hear that will make the pics fuzzy but wont ruin anything.  He might get the hint that the hole in the ground was from another hunters efforts.

I like the Vaseline  option -make it a hassle for him to get pics   -- leave a polite note  that  you'll gladly  share the spot if  he returns  your stolen  camera

kinda a who's gonna give up first ---  one can be  very  stubborn  when it  comes to thieves

If you are sure there are no elk there, you shouldn't do anything and have him waste his hunt hunting it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idgaf said:

If you are sure there are no elk there, you shouldn't do anything and have him waste his hunt hunting it.

If he's got a rut hunt, he likely won't see any.  If he has a post rut hunt, his odds are pretty good on that salt lick.

I'll be heading back over there this weekend for last week of the hunt.  Planning on spending as much time as I can in my 'hot seat' treestand that has produced a 113" coues for me a few years ago and a 90ish for my buddy this year.  If I tag out early enough, I'll head back over & leave a note for this guy on his camera and try to make contact. 

If I don't tag early enough (or at all), then I'll just wait and see if his camera is up again next year.  I've already pulled my stuff off that lick for the year, so it's all his until next summer.

On 8/31/2018 at 7:54 PM, mattys281 said:

HOw big of a dik do you have to be to rip down someone else's camera and then slap your own up on the same tree?!  What a jackass.  I can't prove it's him, but as I said, in 12 years I've never even gotten a picture of another hiker/hunter or seen anyone near there in person.  Seems pretty long odds that it was someone else that stole my camera and then this guy shows up later and puts his own up totally unaware....  

Took every ounce of restraint I had to keep from putting a 9mm round through his.

wow what a bunch of dick heads here....NO PROOF and here you all you giving methods to ruin someones hunt!!!  NO ONE OWNS THE WOODS and if someone hangs a camera and adds to a salt lick you all want to F him over...really the more I read on this forum the more I realize there are some real DICK HEADS...if the OP does not like the fact that someone else found his SECRET SPOT THEN he should move on..if someone else found it then IT WAS NEVER SECRET!!!  BUT for you all to tell him to put bleach out, cat piss, cat litter, diesel....well you all just suck....maybe it is some new guy that busted his butt and discovered the area and just thought he would help out and add to an already established site......

On 8/31/2018 at 7:45 PM, GreyGhost85 said:

Diesel is the answer. The more the merrier . Its mostly oil and it stays in the ground for a long time. Bleach or ammonia evaporates pretty soon and deer will come back. Don’t ask me how i know, just take my advice. 

wow what a jerk maneuver....yep lets all go start dumping diesel out in the woods...I hope you get caught and get a HUGE FINE!!!

On 9/1/2018 at 8:07 AM, Mathews said:

Just ran into a similar issue yesterday, noticed a doe in the same exact spot next to the road every day on my way into my salt. Finally got out and walked over to where she was and there’s a salt lick about 20 yards off the road. I’m sure it’s from an old cattle salt block that soaked into the ground so I figured it’s ok to ruin.. dumped about 2 gallons of gas onto it this morning, hopefully it doesn’t affect my salt in any negative way. 

wow.....dumping gas on public land....I hope you guys get caught and get a HUGE EPA fine!!!!!