300RUM

Another Camera Vandal

I am admittedly not the biggest fan of game cameras but I do own a few and occasionally use them. Generally I do not leave them on water sources so I typically get them back intact. I had a few posted at some fence crossings in my elk unit. When I went to check them the first camera was spun 45 degrees on the tree. The access panel was hanging open and the batteries were laying on the ground. I pulled it off the tree and looked it over. It seemed intact and the SD card was still in it. I replaced the batteries and it worked fine. Downloading the SD card revealed the vandal. Blurry nighttime photos shot closer then the lens could focus well revealed  a long nose, big round eyes and long upright ears. I would love to have seen how that cow elk opened the latch on the access panel and ejected the batteries without damaging the camera.

• Like 3

Post the pic so we can exposed this vandalism thug!!! :)

• Like 2

Lee, my guess is they have a thing for whatever salt our hands leave on cameras after we've handled them --- go figure (?). Good thing it wasn't a yogi with an appetite ...

I’ve often had them snotted up by elk.  Bear are the worst (next to people that is).  I think the electronics give off some kind of faint smell they are curious about.  If there’s elk around, you need to hang them high, above 6 feet they usually don’t bother with them.  A bear box can keep them from moving them, but they’ll still snot the lense up sometimes 

I heard about those stolen in the north end of 19A.  I have some in the same general area, but mine haven't been messed with.  I did have one stolen in 19A a couple of years ago.  Some others on this forum lost theirs  in 19A around the same time/area.  There is a history of somebody with bolt cutters in 19A stealing cams.  4th of July weekend seems to be one of the thieves active times.

Oops, posted this in wrong thread.

I know for sure now some of these older cows and does have people dialed in. 

I have had both lick on my backpack and cameras. I woke up one morning last year sure there was a bear digging through my pack right next to my bivvy, I sat frozen with pistol in hand for several minutes figuring on what to do, I decided to ease my head out and I see this cow elk going to town on my shoulder straps. Lol 

since then I have had deer and another cow elk do the same . 

Does are notorious for stealing horse feed in areas where people have packed in for years. They learn it and teach it down the line so for years I see does right in with their fawns picking up after the mules. 

And yes bears are terrible with cameras,