Adicted

This new forum layout

Well, I was getting along just fine. Now with the recent changes, Mark Site Read click, then a new Unread Content click, produces a long list of already read topics to scroll thru, albeit now greyed out. 😫

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trophyseeker said:

Well, I was getting along just fine. Now with the recent changes, Mark Site Read click, then a new Unread Content click, produces a long list of already read topics to scroll thru, albeit now greyed out. 😫

Yes, that's the trade off.  I can't understand why people would want a list of topics they already read when they click on unread content.  But that seemed to be what many people wanted.  so I made the change.  I could maybe set it to a different time frame....perhaps since last visit?  Maybe that would meet both needs?  I don't really know how to make it work for everyone.  Each member can create a custom stream with whatever settings you like if you look under "Activity" in upper left of forum, then "my activity streams", then you can create a custom stream and select it when you come to the forum.  But perhaps just setting the timeframe for unread content to be since last visit in the default Unread Content button will meet everyone's desires.  I will mess with that.  

• Like 1

I changed the default unread content to be since last visit.  test that out over the next couple days and see if it's better for you.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CouesWhitetail said:

I changed the default unread content to be since last visit.  test that out over the next couple days and see if it's better for you.  

So does that mean you have to sign in and out to get rid of the read topics that keep coming back?

1 hour ago, CouesWhitetail said:

I'll see what happens. I've have tried to  create a new stream several times over the last weeks to "last visit" but it keeps reverting to "365 days" despite making the setting and doing a Save. That was fine, tho, when I was able to use Mark Site Read because only recent topics would come up. But now...as I said...…every topic ever posted will be listed if you keep hitting the Load More Activity link. 

If something wants to read threads that they already have read, they can use the Browse Forums, which s pretty much the way the old software worked. 

2 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

So does that mean you have to sign in and out to get rid of the read topics that keep coming back?

no, last visit means last time you visited, not last time you logged in

I'll see what happens. I've have tried to  create a new stream several times over the last weeks to "last visit" but it keeps reverting to "365 days" despite making the setting and doing a Save. That was fine, tho, when I was able to use Mark Site Read because only recent topics would come up. But now...as I said...…every topic ever posted will be listed if you keep hitting the Load More Activity link. 

If something wants to read threads that they already have read, they can use the Browse Forums, which s pretty much the way the old software worked. 

You can't change the unread content default settings, you have to create your own stream and change the settings there.  In order to create a new stream, click on the Activity drop down menu in upper left of forum.  Then select My Activity Streams and then go down to the bottom of that and select Create New Stream.  Then name the new stream whatever you want and change the settings to how you prefer it.  Then save it and it will save it in your list of streams under My Activity Streams.  Unfortunately, to access it when you come back you click on Activity, My Activity Streams and select the one you want in your list of streams.  

I totally agree with you that if someone wants to read what they already read they can browse the forums, but people seems to want it this other way.  I don't really understand why people want previously read content to show in the unread content stream.  But I did change the default unread content stream to be since your last visit.  That is how I think the old software had it.  so this should be pretty darn similar and meet your desires and those of others.  

• Like 1

Can I bitch now? I have read topics in my unread content. Makes a bunch of sense.

I would lie and say I’m not coming back but I’m addicted to forums. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

Can I bitch now? I have read topics in my unread content. Makes a bunch of sense.

I would lie and say I’m not coming back but I’m addicted to forums. 

Yep. I thought unread was unread. I cant get rid of it. Cant figure it out. Probably cause im too oltttttt.

• Like 1

to help Amanda, you guys having issues should say if you are using a cel phone or regular PC.  everytime you post a question. including the type of celphone ie android, i-phone tablet etc etc

reason I say that is because a cellphone works completely different on forums and quite honestly the celphone version is a PAIN in the A$$ trying to decipher on any Forum software. I been using Vbulletin since it 1st came out close to 20+ years . I know it extremely well. when they started the cellphone version of it screwed me and our users all up. alot of the problems are different types of celphones as well like apple vs the other one then on top of that the different softwares they use. Unlike pcs running a windows platform the celphone companies have NO standard.

I finally said heck with it and told the celphone users there on there own and I will figure it out when I can and have the time.  if you have a celphone run the run like desktop or what ever that three dot thing calls it its much easier until she gets the bugs taken care of.

when you have a custom site like this one even if its just color changes style changes font changes etc etc it really screws with the celphone side again do to the different celphone platforms

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CouesWhitetail said:

Yes, that's the trade off.  I can't understand why people would want a list of topics they already read when they click on unread content.  But that seemed to be what many people wanted.  so I made the change.  I could maybe set it to a different time frame....perhaps since last visit?  Maybe that would meet both needs?  I don't really know how to make it work for everyone.  Each member can create a custom stream with whatever settings you like if you look under "Activity" in upper left of forum, then "my activity streams", then you can create a custom stream and select it when you come to the forum.  But perhaps just setting the timeframe for unread content to be since last visit in the default Unread Content button will meet everyone's desires.  I will mess with that.  

try to see if you can have a link for post in last 24 hours., Ive kept that on my forums from the old days and then everyone is happy with the options they get. I'm not sure how they would do it on this software.

this will also help if someone is logged in or not logged in or has cookies on or off on there pc. cookies mess with everything.

BTW the stickies/ pinned  stuff not being there makes it much easier to read. the forum.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CouesWhitetail said:

You can't change the unread content default settings, you have to create your own stream and change the settings there.  In order to create a new stream, click on the Activity drop down menu in upper left of forum.  Then select My Activity Streams and then go down to the bottom of that and select Create New Stream.  Then name the new stream whatever you want and change the settings to how you prefer it.  Then save it and it will save it in your list of streams under My Activity Streams.  Unfortunately, to access it when you come back you click on Activity, My Activity Streams and select the one you want in your list of streams.  

Yeah, I figured out how to change and save a stream. But as you describe -- and I think I said -- it reverts back forcing me to do the Activity bit again.  I'll survive, but like you I much prefer the way it was two days back. 

• Like 1