Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Winches and Hoists

So I finally got a Ranger.

With 7 hunts between now and the end of the year, with 3 being Elk, I thought this was a total necessity.

I'm going to put a winch in the front. What I want to do- as I've seen done in Youtube's with winching an elk into the bed- is to attach an electric hoist above the box. (I have an extended roll cage over the cargo area- the bed still dumps)

Has anyone installed anything like that? I'm also trying to find a DC Hoist- most of what I see are indoor stuff. I could install two winches, but a hoist makes more sense in the back.

Here's a pic for reference:

IMG_2970.thumb.jpg.803ac1dd8098654a67aa1c41fe541d36.jpg

I’ve used pulleys and two rangers to lift and put a whole gutted elk in the bed of bed or a ranger. It’s a pita. 

Now if you can get to it. The hunter starts the gutless method. By time you return with the ranger you just drop the quarters in the bed and go home. 

My ranger has had a winch since 2006. I’ve never used it. Not because I’ve don’t use the ranger, I’ve wore out 6 sets of tires. 

Jazz-PM me your cell number and I will show you a video of how I do it with my Ranger. I throw the winch cable up over the top of the ranger and the tree branch, tie it to the elk or deer and winch them up. Once they are up high enough I slowly back the Ranger under it. Works like a charm!

1 minute ago, oz31p said:

I’ll sell you the one I have for $50.  It’s never been used. Also if you kill an elk in the junipers or some where you can’t drive to all this goes out the window and quartering is going to happen either way . 

• Like 1

I’ve thought of just attaching a pully to the roll cage and running the winch cable up over the top and to the back of the ranger. Not sure if it’d work or not. 

Cutter up and throw it in.. When I had my ring and used the winch to pull a bull in a chin for skinning, the dam rino went up in the air..

I fab'd a hoist similar to this.  The only difference is I used round pipe with a coupler that allows the unit to swivel(when you loosen the set screw) and drop it into the bed.  For elk, you will need a pretty beefy setup.  Mine breaks into sections so it will fit in my jeep or a ranger easily.  You can add sections for larger animals like an elk.

image.png.968f1c510907a55c910a285069bcd984.png

2 hours ago, el diablo said:

I’ve thought of just attaching a pully to the roll cage and running the winch cable up over the top and to the back of the ranger. Not sure if it’d work or not. 

it worked on my 68 bronco back in the day as well as our pickups.. the whole key is to make sure the cable doesnt hit the hood and windshield frame. bronco we laid down the Winfield and put a pulley on the tow bar. the only problem we ever had was with the older warn 8000' with out a roller bumper. the cable would rub the cover on the winch. on the trucks we just strapped a pulley to a branch and then another branch. kinda a mickey mouse set up but were talking back in the late 70's and a bunch of dumb kids.

we found it much easier to take a chainsaw cut the elk up and toss it into the back of the truck, or use the other guys trucks winch and pulley lift it then drive the other vehicle under it.

2 hours ago, Delw said:

it worked on my 68 bronco back in the day as well as our pickups.. the whole key is to make sure the cable doesnt hit the hood and windshield frame. bronco we laid down the Winfield and put a pulley on the tow bar. the only problem we ever had was with the older warn 8000' with out a roller bumper. the cable would rub the cover on the winch. on the trucks we just strapped a pulley to a branch and then another branch. kinda a mickey mouse set up but were talking back in the late 70's and a bunch of dumb kids.

we found it much easier to take a chainsaw cut the elk up and toss it into the back of the truck, or use the other guys trucks winch and pulley lift it then drive the other vehicle under it.

Yeah, Got to looking at the ranger when I got home and it will definitely rub across the hood and such. With the weight of an elk I imagine it would saw right through that. 

Thanks guys- all great suggestions. I think I'm going to go with a winch in front and a hoist in the back- they're super cheap and I could use them for just about anything.

While we're at it..

I replaced the belt and I'm looking to replace this part. I don't know what it is- anyone? It's cracked. Seems like a cheap fix.

IMG_2983.jpg