Gduncan

Attempting to help a new young hunter

After numerous short conversations with a young guy through my work (he works for a contractor doing work for my employer) I have agreed to try to help him on his first game hunt and he has chosen the spring hunt for Javelina. At 19 yrs old I guess he doesn't qualify for any of the typical "Youth Hunts".  

I am not  what you would call an experienced hunter. I did help my wife get her first game animal, a Javelina and then was finally able to get my first one the following year. Haven't seen any sign of Javelina in that area since seeing lots of Mountain Lion tracks. 

We are going to do the Online Hunter Education Course primarily since he hasn't been around anyone that hunts to make sure all bases are covered to get him started. So, I'm looking for any advise and/or help from this point to offer him as good of an experience as possible. We both live in/near Tucson and once we figure out where to put in for tags and determine if day trips or setting up a hunt camp is appropriate, as we will most likely be weekend hunting only due to work.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, advice or help!

Pretty much any unit touching Tucson should have plenty of Javelina. It might be worth putting in for an area he is interested in or finds scenic.

Best bet for success is stick to what you know. Either that or find a BP agent with some night vision.

• Like 1

Nice of you to try and help the kid.  In the meantime take him out glassing sometime and i bet you will find some pigs.

• Like 3

First off... kudos to you. that's very cool of you to help foster this kids interest with partaking in the lifestyle.  I grew up not being exposed to it, but a family friend took me out for the first time and tried to help me out. and the correct approach, with the hunters safety. thats even better. Try to instill the ethics right from the start.

• Like 3

Take him quail and rabbit hunting between now and February.  That will really help get him used to walking around in the woods and knowing what to look for.  

• Like 4

One thing to help make sure it's a good experience for a new hunter is to remember to not pressure them to shoot.  Let them decide if they are comfortable with the shot or not.  If you pressure them to shoot and the person makes a bad shot, it may turn them off from hunting all together.  Make the hunt about learning and not necessarily about killing something.  Your ultimate goal is to foster a desire to hunt, that may mean passing on a shot that you might take, but that the person doesn't feel comfortable with.  Sometimes it's hard for experienced hunters to remember what it's like to never have hunted.

• Like 10

As Amanda stated, don't pressure them to shoot.  Also, don't pressure them to hold out for something bigger!  I learned that from Taylor.  Let them make the choice.  Also, educate them to enjoy the outdoors and experiences.  A successful hunt does not necessarily mean filling a tag.  The experience and gained knowledge does.

• Like 3

My son's first hunt was a tough one, (20c). After not finding deer we switched to quail and he ended up having the time of his life. His second hunt was a peaks elk hunt. He hiked his butt off and had a bull elk stare him down at 20 yards. (Cow tag). The experience inspired him even more. I agree, not pressuring them and teaching them to enjoy the experience is what matters. This year he has a youth cow tag in a prime unit. He already has his gear packed and is excited as can be even though he has struck out twice.

• Like 3