308Nut

Are there any decent bucks left in unit 21?

Game and Fish called me the other day and said a tag holder for unit 21 mule deer December 14-31 surrendered his permit and offered it to me since I would have been next in line the draw (what are the odds). I told the nice lady that I would take it. I do know that 21 isn't known as a trophy unit. I do know it is a tough unit to find and big buck in and even tougher to kill him even in December. I know that December is usually marginal for rutting activity. That said, I am not looking for a giant but would really like to take a solid 4 point. Even if its only a 150 class. It has been many years since I hunted 21. I bowhunted it religiously in the 90s and chased many GIANT bucks around 'Desert HIlls' just north of Phoenix. Not only is that area no longer 21, I'm sure land development and years of rifle hunting/archery hunting has taken a toll on the quality and number of bucks in the region. All that said, I am happy to have 18 days of longer days and warmer air away from my home where it will be dark and butt cold in December glassing up deer in the desert. I wasn't interested in another late whitetail tag, I know I'm never going to draw a strip tag. I have been trying to draw a late mulie tag since they became available. And here we are.

So.....how big of a mistake did I make taking this opportunity? I'm sure 27 would have been better but I'm all in for 21 now. Are there any decent bucks left? I was considering hunting the New River Mountains area. Maybe the foothills of New River Mesa both north and south of the Mesa. What do you think?

M

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

I think you will have a better hunt than you are expecting. Mike deer rut a Bit earlier than coues. I have seen some big swollen necks before Christmas in the desert. You will have a great time. Good luck!

• Like 2

This is a great hunt.  I would easily say set your expectations on 150+ for the majority of the hunt.  The hunt will only get better as the time goes on.  I have noticed over the last few years that it seems the Whitetail have expanded their range into areas that I used to only see Muleys in.  I know last year I was seeing Whitetail 5-1 in an area where I used to see Muleys 20-1.  Good luck on the hunt and congrats on getting that tag.

• Like 2

I have hunted unit 21 since I was a little kid. A 150 to 160 inch 4x4 should not be a problem on this hunt. Pm me if you want some scouting info. But in my opinion unit 21 has a whitetail population now that is ridiculous. The whitetails are all the way down to new river now.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

21 is not what it used to be but there are still good bucks to be had. I think your 150” standard is fair but you can do better. I typically see 1-2 bucks every year in there that will go 160-170”+. Good luck!

• Like 2

There are some bruisers up there.   One of the biggest typical mule deer I have ever seen was in 21. 

• Like 1

There are Coues all the way down to Daisey Mountain.   I've seen elk on Brooklin peak.  Muleys have more competition in the area, based on peoples accounts of area's history.

In the winter, some big muley wintering herds form on the South Perry Mesa.

• Like 1

My son has the same tag and we will be hunting a little further north.  We were on some decent deer last year in January, so hopefully we can find them in December.  

You will do fine . I almost went for that tag with my 11 points cause I know 21 so well. Glad I put in late BAB cause got lucky and drew it. Living in Cave Creek for years I went out there alot. Allways saw Good Muleys from Xmas on...Good luck...........BOB! 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies. I’m actually encouraged after reading these. I got my tag in the mail today. It’s been a LONG time coming. I grew up hunting coyotes, rabbits, dove, quail and deer in unit 21. I killed my first big game animal/mule deer on New River Mesa when I was 18. Bowhunted summer, fall and winter for years and prayed that someday AZGFD would offer a few December permits for mule deer after seeing so many great bucks during the winter season but never the October/November seasons. Now at 43, I have a tag that has my name, mule deer and December printed on it. While there are better hunts in AZ, the nostalgia of this just has a grip on me. 

Thanks again,

M

• Like 2

Honestly, maybe it’s not a strip or Kaibab tag but this is awesome tag! Rut activity will be starting to kick in in the northern part of the unit and 150”+ should not be a problem. Have fun!