Sign in to follow this  
Heat

Waders

I'm headed to the upper midwest (Michigan) to do some river salmon fishing in about a month.  Fully expect cold temps.  What brand and model of waders would you recommend that absolutely will not leak and won't break the bank.  Budget around $200 but would like to keep it well under if possible.  Thanks in advance. 

PS I have a set of Hodgman waders that have been in the garage for too long and they leak like a seive.  These are the "breathable" type.  Not too worried about breathable for this trip.  Needs something more reliable than breathable.

I'll defer to anyone that offers a specific model, but I'll share some input. 

Neoprene or breathable vinyl/plastic?

Neoprene will always win in cold weather and vinyl/plastic is better in warm conditions and will always remain the trend in the fly fishing world. Which will you use more often after your trip? Neoprene are great for duck hunting in the winter cold. Breathables don't compare in anything cold but layering is always a workaround. 

Stockingfoot or booted?

I can't say one is more reliable than the other and I own both. If you are hiking any distance, stockingfoot requiring a pair of boots over the top win outright. They are typically way more comfortable. Booted are more simple but I've often been freezing with all that space.

I would own 2 $100 pair with patch kits, neoprene for the truly cold and muddy environments and breathables with layers for places like 49F water at Lees Ferry with warm air temps. Sweating in neoprene sucks.

• Thanks 1

Come on guys, nobody has any leaky waders stories for me?  LOL!  How about a duck hunting or fishing site to recommend that might have more experience with waders?

Thanks!

Guest akaspecials

I would get a thin pair of neoprenes with room to layer thermals and fleece under. Sportsman warehouse had the best local selection when I was looking 4 years ago. Try on a few pairs to make sure they are comfortable. Nothing worse than too baggy or too tight. 

Sorry I can't help with brands.