bojangles

Favorite boots

What’s your favorite pair of boots and why?

These are my redwing iron rangers.  I love the versatility.  I've worn them cutting firewood, packing elk, business meetings, church, and sales presentations.  They are looking a little rough these days, but regular saddle soap and oil keeps them going.  

Handmade in the USA.

A few cons, they have a cork dress sole, so they aren't that comfortable for the long haul.  I had to put cushion insoles in them for comfort.  The dress outsole is great for working in customers homes, they don't track mud or rocks.  But when i get them re-soled, i will go with a softer gum sole for more traction and comfort.

Nothing relieves stress like a stout cup of coffee and a can of boot oil, and a good boot cleaning session.

9E280552-595D-4F6D-9E53-094CC9A87804.jpeg

• Like 1

Redwing #608 is what I’ve been wearing for the past 8-10 years. They last me 2 or so years. I had a pair re soled once when the original wore out. Nothing but bad luck. First sole came off in a week, second lasted almost 8 months before it came off on a hunt in a field of cactus. Could be because I’m in oil and chemicals all day but either way I won’t ever re sole again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Redwing #608 is what I’ve been wearing for the past 8-10 years. They last me 2 or so years. I had a pair re soled once when the original wore out. Nothing but bad luck. First sole came off in a week, second lasted almost 8 months before it came off on a hunt in a field of cactus. Could be because I’m in oil and chemicals all day but either way I won’t ever re sole again.

yeah, just looking at the 608, it doesn't look like a good candidate for a re-sole.  i agree to just buy new if i wore that boot.

Red Wing 415 everyday use. Red Wing 2203 for work. Both have been resoled. I was told that Red Wings were heavy, hard to break in, but the most comfortable boot around, found that to be true. 

0909181356.jpg

• Like 1

Those look broke in. The toe cap reminds me of my old army jump boots 

red wings for work

kenetreks for fun

• Like 1

was hoping to get some good reviews on different boots like white's, nick's, danners, crispi, kennetrek, vasque, etc.

both for daily wear and hunting.

Right now i hunt in some old Danner Pronghorns, but won't be buying the new pair, as it looks like the quality has fallen off.  I'll be shopping for my next pair soon.

I like a tall stiff boot. I have weak ankles but I hike far with heavy loads,  So for me it’s kenetreks mt extremes and mt guild insulated. But every ones foot is there really are no back boat makers Any more,  just a mismatch of boot type vs foot type. 

• Like 1

I bought a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX boots last spring and am really liking them. There was no breakin period , I kept waiting for my feet to feel the pain on long hikes while turkey and antelope hunting but it never came , great support and very comfortable. I would say these boot are probably the most comfortable boots I’ve ever owned.

• Like 1

I've been running the Danner Gila for 2 years now. Yearly stats on them are 10+ quail hunting trips, 3+ days of HAM javi, 1 elk trip, 1 leftover deer trip, countless scouting trips and occasional hikes on the north side of Squaw Peak. Great boots, no issues. However, quite a few people are saying that Crispi is the way to go. When my Gilas run out of life, I may try and give those a go.

Prior to my Gilas, I was running Vasque Skywalks (older Red Wing version made in Italy) for 10+ years. Hundreds of miles with no issues. Resoled twice and a few sets of laces. I still have them and wear them from time to time. 

• Like 1

I have multiple pairs of red wings, these I wear at work... construction.

I have multiple pairs of Lowa boots, my most used are these urban desert, really good for everyday and packing loads when needed. I believe the model now is the elite desert.

People's feet are so different it's hard to suggest on the internet, but Chinese made danners and others are ok for light hunting but fail fast under heavy loads.

Kent 

20180915_075933.jpg

• Like 1

Has anybody owned anything from Russell moccasin and boot? 

Made in Europe or USA is the way to go.  I look for one piece, full grain leather, no liner or insulation, stitch down not glued sole.  Hard to find everything I like in one boot so I often compromise on one or another feature.  Most recently have worn LA Sportiva, Zamberlan, and now using some Keens.  Not thinking the Keens are going to last long but they are lightweight and very comfortable.  For $70 on clearance it was worth the gamble.  So far, so good.  Most important is fit.  Everybody is different.  Try a bunch.

• Like 2