Sign in to follow this  
azhuntnut

Swaro 12x50 or 15x56HD?

I’m going to purchase one of these soon and I can’t make up my mind which one. I mostly glass right now with a pair of 10s. If I’m close to my truck I will also pull out my 20-60 spotting scope to check out what I have found. When I’m hiking I carry my little Nikon ED50 13-50. I’m getting older and my eye sight is t the best anymore. I’m told I would do better with the 12s since they have better color and clarity, but I kind of like the idea of the 15 power. I actually do pretty well with my 10s right now, but want a little more. David

Which one? Swarovski 12x50 or 15x56HD

I also use the 12x50s and really like them. I haven't ever used the 15x56s, but am sure they are also great. I chose the 12x50s because I don't want to carry two pairs and I can hand hold the 12x50s for brief periods. 

The glass is also slightly better on the EL series than the SLC. 

• Like 2

12x50 el

ive spent a ton of time sitting next to the 15hds. The higher magnification is not realy noticed but the 12s are clearer , brighter and a much bigger field of view. There’s a reason swaro has them in diferant lines. The 15hds have a slight gray shade to me. If your on the west side I could get set up a side by side comparison. 

One factor I think is where you hunt. Whats your typical range? Down my way you can  get away with 12s. But in many areas of AZ I would definitely want 15s.  Duwane Adams made himself a legend by using 15s not 12s. IMO thats good enough for me.  

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

One factor I think is where you hunt. Whats your typical range? Down my way you can  get away with 12s. But in many areas of AZ I would definitely want 15s.  Duwane Adams made himself a legend by using 15s not 12s. IMO thats good enough for me.  

Have you talked with Mr Adams lately, because the swaro 12’s weren’t around when Dwyane became a legend. 

1 minute ago, oz31p said:

Have you talked with Mr Adams lately, because the swaro 12’s weren’t around when Dwyane became a legend. 

I'm sure 12s existed when he had 15s. Why did he still use 15s? 

I get your point though, the current 12 el's didn't exist then but my point not with standing I would still prefer 15s in BIG country even if only a bit less clear then the 12s.  Still comes down to where your hunting IMO. 

25 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I'm sure 12s existed when he had 15s. Why did he still use 15s? 

I get your point though, the current 12 el's didn't exist then but my point not with standing I would still prefer 15s in BIG country even if only a bit less clear then the 12s.  Still comes down to where your hunting IMO. 

I disagree. I glass with the 12els side by side the 15hds several weeks a year. It’s hard to discribe but you don’t see the less magnification. But you notice the brightnes and larger clearer field of view.  

Have you glassed with either one?

duwane used swaro 15s 15 years ago because they were the best available at the time.  

16 minutes ago, oz31p said:

I disagree. I glass with the 12els side by side the 15hds several weeks a year. It’s hard to discribe but you don’t see the less magnification. But you notice the brightnes and larger clearer field of view.  

Have you glassed with either one?

duwane used swaro 15s 15 years ago because they were the best available at the time.  

Fair enough. No I haven't had the chance to glass with either.  You said you glass with both. Why both? And what is the determining factor? Are you saying no matter the terrain you would choose the 12s over the 15s?

My buddy bought the 15hds with out knowing and we hunt together often. 

Yes the 12 el  over the 15s. Every day. I don’t even use a spotting scope any more. I can glasses a bedded buck/evaluate him enough to know if I’m interested in him. Or I’m too far away to kill him today any way. 

34 minutes ago, oz31p said:

My buddy bought the 15hds with out knowing and we hunt together often. 

Yes the 12 el  over the 15s. Every day. I don’t even use a spotting scope any more. I can glasses a bedded buck/evaluate him enough to know if I’m interested in him. Or I’m too far away to kill him today any way. 

That's quite a statement.  I'll  take your word for it before buying either I guess.