GreyGhost85

Freeze drying velvet

for you taxidermists out there, how long does a velvet rack need to stay in the freezer to be dried sufficiently? i have had one in for a year now and don't want to jump the gun and pull it out early. it's too big of a buck to risk having the antlers spoil

I’ve had a few freeze dried. I think it’s a diferant process. I don’t think just being in the freezer will do it. My taxidermist ships the antlers out to be done. 

Yes it is a different process, my dad does it a couple ways, sooks it in velvex, or he use borax and injects it into the vanes.. I'll ask him for you

leaving them in the freezer for a long period does work as well. I've got 3-4 bucks i've done it on with success but i have always left them for waaay longer than is probably necessary. Seems like Goldman is about the only taxidermist in AZ that has a freeze drier anymore. I need to free up some space in my freezer. 

• Like 2

Wellers has a freeze dryer. I've mounted them after a year in the freezer with no problems. My preferred method is to inject with formaldehyde right away. I've used velvet tan with good success as well. Ed F

I’ve done it in a regular freezer a bunch and it works good.  I leave in freezer for about a year or so then take them out.  Then I poke pin holes in the tips of each tine and hang up side down in a cool place.  Whatever moisture is left in the antlers will drain and dry from the pin holes.  I do leave some pins in as it dries also. I have some that I have done that are 15 years old that are still in perfect condition. Added the buck I killed last week to the freezer for its year long wait 😊

Brian

• Like 1

A year in the freezer should be good. I left a mule deer in for a year back in 2009 and velvet looks just as good as the day I pulled it out. 

How do you clean a skull without ruining the velvet? 

On 9/10/2018 at 9:24 PM, Explorer said:

How do you clean a skull without ruining the velvet? 

There are ways to do it by wrapping the bases but most people saw the antlers off individually and freeze dry them, then euro the skull and reattach the antlers to it. 

• Like 1