Non-Typical Solutions

Where were you?

In a meeting with co-workers, somebody got a text from a news organization stating a plane had crashed into the WTC.  Did not think much about it figuring some incompetent dolt crashed his Cessna 150 into a building.  Solemn day.  Later that night in my backyard, watching USAF aircraft flying grids over Phoenix was a sobering moment. 

• Like 1

On my way to Tucson for a job.  Herd it on the radio wasn't sure what was going on until we stop somewhere and it had a TV.     

Sitting in a 7am Forestry class @ Colorado State University.

At the time I was living on the 11th story of a pair of 12 story dorms in Fort Collins. They were the tallest building for 80 miles. It didn't feel super comfortable going back to my dorm when school was cancelled that day. It was also super uncomfortable being 1000 miles away from my family and having no family support structure, no car, no real money, no weapons, etc since we had no idea WTF was going on.

They didn't cancel football practice that day so we hung out at the facility that day a lot, but it sucked because during practice they called a few players out of practice to tell them that they had loved ones who were in the Towers.

• Like 1

Working at Sun Amp on 23rd and Pinnacle Peak for Secon Electric..  I picked up my kids from the bus stop and went home and watched, the day no planes flow in the ski..

3 hours ago, ctafoya said:

Watching it all unfold at work. I'm in Manhattan right now working, and it's crazy to see people acting like nothing ever happened. 

i think i have the only flag out in the neighborhood today.

lee

• Like 1

Was getting ready for work and ready to leave to go to Luke AFB when my wife, who was working night shift at St. Joe's, called me to tell me what was going on.  Hurried to the base before it was on lock down.  Didn't go home until the next morning.

• Like 2

I had just hiked out from a wilderness hunt, called my wife and she was all upset... I told her not to worry, probably wasn't a big deal. She reminds me all the time that wasn't the right thing to say. That day changed everything... Ed F

Was at work when we heard about it. Went home to be with the family. Said a lot of prayers that day.

Flying a trip at one of our airlines. Was on a layover in Seattle and woke up and turned on the news just as the second aircraft hit the second tower. I was flying the same model Boeings flying a lot of trips out of BOS and NYC. Called home immediately, they were just watching the news and wondering where I was. Once everything was squared away at home I was totally pissed off, that could have been one of my flights, those could have been my passengers.

Getting ready for school. I remember coming out of my bedroom and seeing my mom with tears in her eyes, mouth wide open covering it with her hand.

I also remember being pissed off that football practice wasnt cancelled. Looking back on it today, that was a wise choice.  We were all so pissed off that we had an amazing practice. We beat the dogsh!t out of each other.

• Like 2

I was in Funes, Santa Fe, Argentina. We had just gotten off the bus after a meeting in Rosario. We were dropped off at the corner and while walking up to our house the old lady that lived next door to us was out sweeping the sidewalk in front of her house. I can still hear her asking me, "Nene, no escuchaste lo que pasó en tu país?" Hey kid, did you hear what happened in your country? I didn't understand how serious it was until I saw it on a TV at the little corner "Kiosko" that we went to to grab some lunch at a few minutes later. My missionary companion was from Argentina, so for a little bit I felt very alone and out of place. It was surreal to see something so horrible happening in my country while I was thousands of miles away from my home and all of my family. I had been in Argentina just a few days short of a year at that point.

In Laramie Wyoming. When I got to class over half of my classmates were being called out. Most were there on the military’s dime. Was 3 days until we had a full class again. Somber day is an understatement.

I was at work as a building superintendent on a housing track when my customer service guy came & told me.

We went into one of the model homes & watched it unfold. It was a somber day there were no planes flying over 

and it was quiet & eery.

At work Hanging fascia and sheeting a roof when the tract super pulled up to fill us in. 

Remember going home that afternoon and watching the news nonstop in shock.

crazy how everyone you talk to  can remember that day in such detail as to where they were.