WarrZone

Kachina Peaks Cow Elk Hunt

Hey all, 

I have been up scouting the area several times this year and I have seen well over a dozen bulls, but only two cows. 

Maybe, I'm up too high and looking in too steep of country but I know I need to find the best feed to find the cows, and I thought that's exactly where I was, but not many cows at all to speak of. 

I'm probably doing something wrong and plan on trying to glass some of the meadows I can find on google earth in future trips. 

But any tips/suggestions would be appreciated. 

If you're looking for bulls, I know where to go!

Thanks! 

Seems like the trouble I had when I had cow tag...always finding lone bulls and of course all the bull hunters were covered up with cows. Is there a bull hunt going on at same time? Maybe team up with a bull hunter...

I’ve been on the peaks hunts several times. I don’t know what hunt you have but I don’t think you can be too high or too steep. The last cow we killed was at 10150. We had to tie her legs to a tree so she would not slide down while we quartered her. 

The peaks are not like any other area in the state. Some of the elk rules don’t apply. As the season come and go the elk will continue to get pushed higher and higher.

17 hours ago, oz31p said:

I’ve been on the peaks hunts several times. I don’t know what hunt you have but I don’t think you can be too high or too steep. The last cow we killed was at 10150. We had to tie her legs to a tree so she would not slide down while we quartered her. 

The peaks are not like any other area in the state. Some of the elk rules don’t apply. As the season come and go the elk will continue to get pushed higher and higher.

Good to know. I have the rifle tag that starts 10/5. 

I hunted the Peaks the last two years. We went 3 for 3 for cows in 2016 and 1 for 3 for bulls last year. The cows were killed from 10,480 at the highest to just over 9000 for the lowest. The cow at 9,000 ft was right at sundown and I'm pretty sure was heading down for water. From what I have seen on my cameras, the cows seem to disappear about the time the rut starts, I'm guessing they running in harems mostly what I get are pictures of lone bulls. When I have gotten cows during this time of year there is usually a bull around as well.  As bigorange suggest, finding a bull hunter may be productive. 

I'll be hunting cows again this year the week before yours.

1 hour ago, WarrZone said:

Hunt # 3048. 10/5-10/11. 

Sure is. I did not see that before. The structure of these hunts have changed a little this year but your hunt is typical of the hunts we’ve down in here in the past. 

I could show you on a map where we see cows year after year during theses hunts. Where are you located?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oz31p said:

Sure is. I did not see that before. The structure of these hunts have changed a little this year but your hunt is typical of the hunts we’ve down in here in the past. 

I could show you on a map where we see cows year after year during theses hunts. Where are you located?

You had me second guessing myself! Glad I wasn't missing something. 

That would be awesome. I live in North Chandler and work in Scottsdale.