Sign in to follow this  
nvmulie

2A,2B,2C Hunt

Our group drew 2a,2b,2c, mule deer tags by mistake.  When we applied we accidentally put in the wrong unit so we will work with it (we have to).  I was curious if any of you has had success or any ideas where we could start, not asking for honey holes but a general starting point.  I am not a horn hunter I would prefer to get the meat. (I will shoot it if I find one though).  

Look on line with the game and fish.  They give lots of places to start

3 minutes ago, Zeke-BE said:

Look on line with the game and fish.  They give lots of places to start

Yeah we did, but what's online is very general and it is the same for all three units.

LOTS of 40 acre homesteads out there, which make it hard to navigate the unit. Not all of the residents are very nice either. Most are weirdos that have retired out there to be left alone. The deer are hard to find. Once you find one it can be a big one. But it can take 3-4 days to find a single deer. It's a tough hunt for sure. The locals have the best odds, and will fill most of the tags. If you haven't started looking, you better start now. I'd start by finding water sources, and looking for tracks at them. If you find a water source with tracks, focus a weekend around that spot glassing all day long. To fill multiple tags on this hunt is going to take hard work, and a lot of luck. 

There are some good bucks but there is a reason they aren’t more popular. Very low densities and a ton of pricate property includin reservation. Even the guys that know these units extremely well usually struggle to turn up deer. In all honesty, tracking them down is how a lot of guys kill them. The sandy ground in this hunt makes it easier than some areas

• Like 2

If you're going to tackle a hunt like that with lots of private land I would recommend using a GPS mapping software that indicates land ownership. I have used On-X maps for years and strongly recommend it,

• Like 2

These 2 where taken from these units a few years back, heard they where running together 

theres a gunsmith up there in Holbrook, you need to go check out, more big bucks mounted in his shop than anywhere I know.

82C99368-20CB-4140-BB38-FC693C8C0C19.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, biglakejake said:

ronnie nichols/nichols' sportsman on navajo north of the overpass.  ronnie tracks them like they do down in mexico.

lee

That’s the shop you need to go visit

The deer herd up here took a major hit this last winter. No moisture fell in any quantity from November-June. Water dried up that has been steady for decades. Fawn survival will be minimal and deer health was poor until July when the spotty rains started. If this tag was drawn by mistake turn it back. That's my take.

Few places in the unit have deer in any number like is mentioned above. To say you don't want "honey holes" is silly, any place that's holding deer is a honey hole. You will encounter a lot of locked gates and little chance to gain access. We could talk about the various reasons but most are due to previous conflicts between land owners and hunters leaving gates open, driving ATV's off road and a sense of entitlement by both sides. To think you might solve these issues in the next 6 weeks would be naive. 

If you do come I'd like you to consider this one thing, without the ranches pumping water for cattle the deer, elk and antelope numbers would be 10% of what they are now.

• Like 2

My brother and I drew  cow elk tags (third choice) in 2A and 2B and are going scouting this weekend. If I spot any bucks I'll try to make note of where and let you know.

• Like 1

Thank you for the input we are anticipating a tough hunt and we are heading up this weekend to check it out.  May look around the Lyman lake area.  I thought I heard someone say the area along the New Mexico border is decent.

8 hours ago, Vowell said:

These 2 where taken from these units a few years back, heard they where running together 

theres a gunsmith up there in Holbrook, you need to go check out, more big bucks mounted in his shop than anywhere I know.

82C99368-20CB-4140-BB38-FC693C8C0C19.jpeg

Nice bucks