Coach

Looking for a .243

I'm thinking about finally getting a .243. My first two choices are a Win 70 featherweight or Ruger Hawkeye. But I'm open to suggestions. I want something with a wood stock, good trigger, kind of traditional. I'm not opposed to something like a Tikka Hunter. What are your thoughts on the best .243 that performs well but has that trad feel?

I have an old Remington 788 in .243 that I use only for varminting now, but I've taken several deer with it. For a cheap model it is an accurate, tack driving, low recoil machine. I love that cartridge. Good luck on your search.  

• Like 2

I was recently talking to a guy that tests rifles and scopes, and he sold me on tikka. Of the thousands of rifles he gets and shoots, of the basic factory rifles, he has more tikkas that shoot moa and sub moa than any other manufacture. This same guy has shot over 300,000 rounds in the last 5 years of testing and competing. I believe my next factory rifle will be a tikka. 

• Like 1

Bout 30 years ago I bought my wife a Remingotn Mohawk I think was what it was called......short barrel looked perfect for my wife!!! One of the loudest hardest kicking factory rifles I ever shot!

My dad shot a semi-auto .243 Remington, open sites....it was a sweet shooting gun

MOD 70 Classic, by far the best traditional/classic feel look. I have on in 243 & 270 fthrwt and std wt 270 & 30-06. They all shoot well, 243 and both 270's sub MOA  with factory ammo. 

If you're looking at a Winchester M70, take a look at Montana rifles. They are built on a pre-64 m70 style action and run nearly the same price as the Winchester for the walnut stock version. really pretty, well built rifles and are a lot of "gun" for the money

• Like 1

I have a Ruger Model 77 243 in the paddle style stock. Great gun 

• Like 1

I am a huge .243 fan and have a bunch of them in different brands. The .243 is a super accurate round. my favorite one is a m77r (older ruger with tang safety) and the ruger #1b

Ive shot thousands of rounds in one of my 77r heavy barrel guns and it still drives tacks all day long. I dont like the feel of the newer ones. the 700 Remington is pretty nice as well. Cant go wron with Winchester Ruger or Remington 700 bdls. they all should shoot 1/2"  groups even the old ones. if they dont it just needs a good barrel soaking with sweets

Tikka all the way

image.jpeg.bb982a4f29f11afd31695420dbca987e.jpeg

Thanks for the info everyone. The Tikka t3x sure looks good, but that Montana rifles are beautiful. I'll have to see what the budget is and whether I go for the most bang for the buck or splurge on aesthetics. I did notice the Tikka has a 1 in 10 twist rate, and the Montana has 1 in 9. From what I've heard 1-9 is preferable in .243 but not a very big difference in the real world. Anyone have opinions on that?

I have had a 788, a Model 70 Featherweight (first Production Year), a Weatherby S2 and currently have a Marlin X7 and a Savage Axis. They all shot MOA with factory ammo. The S2 really liked the Winchester 95's. The Savage will shoot under MOA with just about any factory load down to 55 grains.

As far as twist rates I have a .243 BAR that loves 80 grain ammo. Anything 90 and above especially 100 grain I can't hold good groups. Maybe it's the gun or the Cowboy behind the gun. Supposedly the BAR is 1 in 10 twist.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2018 at 7:35 AM, azphil said:

I have an old Remington 788 in .243 that I use only for varminting now, but I've taken several deer with it. For a cheap model it is an accurate, tack driving, low recoil machine. I love that cartridge. Good luck on your search.  

I have the same one for many many years. I can't tell ya how many deer that gun has killed. My son uses it now.

• Like 1