Saguaro

Where you born in Arizona?

wow thank you....fishing under granite reef diversion dam long ago.....i remember trying to catch just 1 carp on a friends Popeil Pocket Fisherman for over an hour and could not-they all broke off.

lee

667058195__1.JPG.0643f8bb58a993162f2a523fcbb31c32.JPG

We would take a gunny sack and put the carp in, tying a rope on and keeping them in the water inside, then drop them off to a few folks that were always appreciative of free fish. I only ate carp once, as a kid we were at San Carlos, back when it was a state lake and not rez. There was an old black lady in a camp close by where we were shore fishing, she asked, what are you boys fishing for? ... anything that bites ma'am... if you catch any carp would you save them for me?... yes ma'am. We took her some carp and later she brought us out sandwiches, she cooked the carp and then shredded the meat out of the bones and made carp fish sandwich like you would tuna, it was darn good.

Kent 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, krp said:

We would take a gunny sack and put the carp in, tying a rope on and keeping them in the water inside, then drop them off to a few folks that were always appreciative of free fish. I only ate carp once, as a kid we were at San Carlos, back when it was a state lake and not rez. There was an old black lady in a camp close by where we were shore fishing, she asked, what are you boys fishing for? ... anything that bites ma'am... if you catch any carp would you save them for me?... yes ma'am. We took her some carp and later she brought us out sandwiches, she cooked the carp and then shredded the meat out of the bones and made carp fish sandwich like you would tuna, it was darn good.

Kent 

That's freakin cool!

dang some of you are old.

I can remember when Sportsmans in Tucson was nothing but dirt. My dad and I caught ants for my ant farm there when I was a kid.

• Like 2

In the 70’s, Yellow Front was the best place for a kid looking for fishing gear and 22LR ammo! 

• Like 3

Yellow Front was where dad bought almost everything for us. I remember him buying his deer tag there before there was a draw.

Smitty's opened up on Greenfield, I bought my 870 wingmaster there with my summer ranching money, a case of blue peters shells and later all the reloading stuff for the hulls there also. We always reloaded paper hulls with the old alcan wads and those plastic hulls and wads were slick.

Kent

• Like 3

Circle K and Utotem carried 22 and shotgun shells, a bit more expensive but in a pinch... and they didn't care how old you were.

Kent

• Like 1

9 hours ago, krp said:

Kent 

My husband and I used to catch carp, smoke them on the grill, then debone and make fish sandwiches that were awesome!  It's actually really good eating.  In Europe carp is considered a delicacy and a sportfish like trout.  

On 9/12/2018 at 5:04 PM, Saguaro said:

What happened to the topic "Where you Born in Arizona" that had a survey and discussions about being born or not in Arizona?

I don't know what happened to it.  I will check with Stan.  Last time I read the thread it was fine and very interesting.  I didn't know it became a problem.  

On 9/12/2018 at 5:04 PM, Saguaro said:

What happened to the topic "Where you Born in Arizona" that had a survey and discussions about being born or not in Arizona?

Turns out the original poster of the thread removed it.  I have restored it and deleted some of the posts that were derailing the thread.  

fyi, if anyone sees content that is a problem in any thread, you can report it to me or other moderators and we can take care of it.  You don't have to delete your own threads just because of a couple bad posts.  To report a post, look in the upper right corner of the post for the "report post" text link, click on it and report what the issue is.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Forlorn Hope said:

In the 70’s, Yellow Front was the best place for a kid looking for fishing gear and 22LR ammo! 

Yeah, but the initial chafing on those jeans was brutal though.