Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Catahoula leopard Dogs

Any one here have any experience with this breed.  We were asked to foster this little guy until he's able to be in the kennel with the bigger dogs.  I think it might have been a ploy of my wife's friend who asked her to keep him for awhile but with the sinister motive to trick us into falling in love with it and adopting him.  Anyone know by looking at him if he is this breed? My first thought when i saw him was he looked like a terrier of some sort which i dont think is right for the breed but im not sure. 

My wife already named him Ruger so I can see the direction this is heading.  And I have to admit I kind of like him already.

Screenshot_2018-09-12-16-09-19.thumb.jpg.64d9616f8f2bf3e13af8c8e76f9cb80c.jpg20180912_173728.thumb.jpg.0dad271dcdc7803a1fd16870e9f55723.jpg20180912_173725.thumb.jpg.b3045764daadc593190eadca40d7ba3c.jpg20180912_173751.thumb.jpg.1cf2ab03acdbe5228d260634f657a724.jpg

• Like 1

The ones I have seen really bond to one person or family and were biters to anyone they didn't associate with on a regular basis and even then I wouldn't trust them.

Looks like it has pit in it to me. Cats are supposed to be good dogs too.  Best dang dog I ever had was a pit mix. All how you raise them.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.  Never heard of them until today.  I can pay $60 for DNA which I think I will do just for piece of mind.  I'm wanting a dog that I can bring around people on hunts or whatever.  Basically a good glassing partner. I'm a bit worried this breed maybe ain't bring around new people kind of a dog.  For the small investment I may keep him awhile to see the temperament then if it dont work out find him a good home for cheap.  

I also thought part pit when I saw the pic of him on the car seat. When I saw him in person I changed my mind instantly and thought part terrier. So maybe has a cat terrier mix. 

We have a catahoula and she is amazing!  Super high energy though.  So plan to give them TONS of exercise!  She is super smart and nice to everyone and gets along with all dogs too.  I suppose it depends on how you socialize them and train them.  Our Catahoula Maggie has a great nose and has found many skulls, skins, antlers, etc when she is out with us.  Not long ago she ran up to me with a human femur!  We reported it to the Sheriffs.  They are still investigating.  I don't recommend a catahoula if you don't have time to exercise them and the ability to train them.  

Maggie the wonder dog.jpg

deer hide.jpg

goat skeleton.jpeg

mule deer antler san carlos (2).jpg

cow hide (7).jpg

deer spine in snow (1).jpg

• Like 2

we had one for almost 15 years, he passed about 6 months ago.  very protective dog.  my wife couldn't control him when he was 4 months old. She took him to obedience training.  after the 2nd class they kicked him out.  every time a bigger dog looked at Christine he went after it.  he was also great on cattle (header) ..  I will say I've never had a dog that needed so much exercise. We love him and miss him.    

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CouesWhitetail said:

We have a catahoula and she is amazing!  Super high energy though.  So plan to give them TONS of exercise!  She is super smart and nice to everyone and gets along with all dogs too.  I suppose it depends on how you socialize them and train them.  Our Catahoula Maggie has a great nose and has found many skulls, skins, antlers, etc when she is out with us.  Not long ago she ran up to me with a human femur!  We reported it to the Sheriffs.  They are still investigating.  I don't recommend a catahoula if you don't have time to exercise them and the ability to train them.  

Maggie the wonder dog.jpg

deer hide.jpg

goat skeleton.jpeg

mule deer antler san carlos (2).jpg

cow hide (7).jpg

deer spine in snow (1).jpg

Love the color on that dog Amanda.....and an human femur!!!! YIKES!!!

• Love 1

Although he is a really great and sweet dog, if I'm gonna break my own rule of no more dogs I at least want it to be a hunting dog. Which this dog could turn out to be but I don't want to invest a bunch of time or money into it.   Results came in as something like 40-50% staffordshire, 30%  bull terrier and like 11% border collie.  He has a great temperment and is always happy. There is a power struggle between him and our little old boston terrier when food is involved.  But overall hes a great dog. Maybe a good idea for him to be an only dog though, however when food is ot involved he gets along with the other dog just fine.   He learned to use the doggy door and went potty outside WITH ZERO TRAINING! He's definitely smart.  Will be posting him up in the classifieds.