Sign in to follow this  
cjl2010

Kestrel

Kestrel, wind meter? Every now and again I see somebody with one. This is my opinion of them, so take it for what it's worth. They give you an indication of what the wind is doing where you are at, not down range where the target is. Say you have a 500 yard shot and the wind where you are at is from the left at 3mph, at 200 yards it it from the left at 6mph, no difference at 300 yards, at 400 yards it is from the right at 8mph, at 500 it really doesn't matter because your bullet is already there. If I have time, ie the animal doesn't know I'm there I'll take a look at what the wind is doing from about a 1/3 of the way to 1/2 of the way to the target. In my opinion that wind will affect your bullet more than where your at. If you can find a range that stretches out more than two hundred yards, even further the better, and take a look and see what the wind is doing through mirage or blowing trees, grass, it won't take long to having a feel what the wind is doing.

• Like 1

I hear you man. Lots of argument on what wind is more important. Lots of guys agree the wind that starts your bullet is equally important.

another reason for wanting one is a backup for my sig kilo 2400.