ctafoya

What's up with this?

T

6 minutes ago, Forlorn Hope said:

You’re right Edge. That’s a road where a person really needs to lay off the throttle a bit. 

I did some research using the information from Inciweb on the fire location and the Coconico forest announcement of the 300 road closure between the 123 and 141 road. Reports said it was above Washington Park. Using that data as a starting point, looking at Google Earth, it appears the wreck happened at a dog leg turn to the right. Reports said they were traveling west on the 300 road. Either they weren’t expecting that dogleg turn or were traveling way too fast to negotiate the turn. Sad deal. 

Here are are the pics from Google Earth of that turn, from a birds eye to a 2D view. 

EB61DE13-B8B2-415F-8DCE-B4999A299F81.png

0DC74431-11F2-4714-AB4E-F7F88DAD6110.png

That looks like the dog leg I saw on the news. One victims family member seems to think the cause was the lack of guardrails😳

It wasn't that bad growing up, there were always at least  20 large pine trees between the road and the edge, but as you can see due to all the resent fires there is no natural buffer zones any more. I could do with some restrictions, it's getting stupid out there, hope one doesn't reach the bumper of my truck, I'm not moving over for some punk crazy driver..  Just my 2 cents 

Who knows if it happened in daylight or after dark? It's also possible that another vehicle was coming around the corner in the opposite direction, and they swerved to avoid?  Many different scenarios to consider, but more than likely they may have been going to fast.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Snapshot said:

Who knows if it happened in daylight or after dark? It's also possible that another vehicle was coming around the corner in the opposite direction, and they swerved to avoid?  Many different scenarios to consider, but more than likely they may have been going to fast.

The fire was reported around 4:30pm. 

Lady on the news this evening said the USFS should consider paving the roads throughout the area.  Unreal.

15 hours ago, Hookset said:

Lady on the news this evening said the USFS should consider paving the roads throughout the area.  Unreal.

Paving Big Lake road from Alpine sure helped with the speeding rigs........we came upon a motorcycle that had gone over the edge right up above Three Forks last summer.....it had started raining and the guy didn't negotioate a curve............

Drive I-17 and see how guard rails and paved highways are doing there........gotta slow down...paved or dirt!!!! 

Gotta wonder about the news people sometimes....they don't always get out of the high rise office building.......