Zeke-BE

How Die Hard Of A Hunter are you??

Over all the years I've been hunting I could have answered that question in so many different ways. These days I kind of feel like the answer is subject to change every morning when the alarm goes off.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m a solid 8. I hunt every season every  species. Every weapon. Long weekends to 10 day trips from wall tent to camped off the back of a ranger at the end of a two track to 5 day backpack hunts. Typically about 50 days a year hunt. Not including range days scouting bird hunting or even fishing. 

29 minutes ago, oz31p said:

I’m a solid 8. I hunt every season every  species. Every weapon. Long weekends to 10 day trips from wall tent to camped off the back of a ranger at the end of a two track to 5 day backpack hunts. Typically about 50 days a year hunt. Not including range days scouting bird hunting or even fishing. 

Holy molly!  That is almost every Saturday of the year 

4 minutes ago, Zeke-BE said:

Holy molly!  That is almost every Saturday of the year 

Damm right it’s about to get worst my oldest just turned 10 and has two tags 

• Like 1

I am well divorced.  Kids in a different state.  I bet I spend over 100 days in the field, but most of those days are only a few hours.  Living in Chino Valley allows for lots of partial days, but ultimately costs beaucoup dineros in truck repair from all the thousands of miles on these dirt roads.   I am still lousy at sealing the deal, especially here in AZ,

time and money spent I'm a 7 or 8 .

Judged by success a 2 or a 3.

• Like 1

1 working towards 1.5.

• Like 1

6.5-7.  I've done the 2 week hunts and love them, I've done the 4 day back pack didn't like  it so much. Now that I live back in Payson and hunt 22-23 must of the time , so I stay at home in a warm bed and shower and loving hunting wife. She has the Bab tag and we will be there for the long haul.. Still my dream is to hunt Alaska and Canada, and would do what ever it takes.. I have had pretty good success, I think.. Hunting was and is my first love. And now the kids have grown I go when I want..

in my 30's i was hunting tuna at level 9(close to 100 nights a year not in my bed at home), then back to bear, coues and elk in AZ as a 9 in my 40's(100 night same).  nowadays an adventure is a trip to the ER or a bull bugling in my backyard.  lol.

lee 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Difficult question to answer. 5 kids, self employed. So maybe a five on your scale but of course it depends on the hunt. I will say this though, during he hunt I am totally immersed in it and consider myself diehard while in the act of hunting.  I'm very determined but short on time.  One of the reasons I want to move to Payson next year.  

• Like 2

I’d say  as a hunter around 7.  Just spent 12 days on an archery tag Utah.   Came home and started preparing the wire for scouting trips for Coues.  Would love to be a 10 which I feel would take my harvest to the next trophy level butttt between work 50-70 hr weeks, club baseball , high school football  wrestling and track.  Plus let’s not forget a great wife that puts up with my obsession.  Yeah 7 might be pushing it.  But at heart is a different story. 

• Like 2

dang, calling us out haha, honestly I feel a 8 during the hunt. I put in for alot of difficult hunts. This is the first year in 13 years I have not gotten drawn. A couple years I didn't get to put in due to work or obligations to work and my son. 2 of those hunts I had major vehicle trouble on the first weekend of the hunt. This post opens my eyes to how I need to step up my scouting time. 1.5 in the off season... 

Thats a hard one to answer as there are too many varibles.

if one of the kids or there close kid friends  has a tag. I bust my butt for them. if its my tag when ever I feel like it as its not a big deal to me.

Family and work comes 1st hunting comes after that. daughters 1st archery elk hunt we spent the whole archery season for deer and elk out in the woods 4-5 days a week. thursday night till monday noon. come back work 12 + hours a day and take off again. 2nd elk tag the very next year the same. 3rd elk tag the next year we went up for 4 days had the time of our lives and I went back to work.

The 1st 2 elk hunts I felt bad for my wife and our son as I didnt spend any time with them from aug till end of sept. then we started scouting for daughters friends rifle deer tag nov and dec I didnt see much of the boy and wife either.

we hunt hard from sun up till sun down daughter loves it. we cover a ton of ground. see lots of cool stuff.

I hunt harder for for yotes than I do anything else.

owning your own business  requires you to be at work alot no time off. when I had a real job it was work then hunting(wife went all the time). no kids, we would spend aug to sept in units 12 and 13 every year.1st 2 years of our 1st daughter we were up there for weeks

will say this the best hunts were always with the kids wether they tagged or not.

then when we had 2 kids I switched to fishing and took the kids ou every day after school. fished an average of 4-5 days a week up until 8 years ago.

• Like 1