Zeke-BE

How Die Hard Of A Hunter are you??

Great topic.

i can’t add anything new. It’s a balance- every one of us would be a ten if we could. There’s things like jobs, wives, commitments that get in the way. The job is demanding and has absolutely nothing to do with my passion of the outdoors- that’s the big constraint. The wife leads the way when she can. (She has a job too). 

This year I will be spending 25 days on big game and about 30 on small game/ fishing. Probably another 60 scouting. (I’m fortunate to live very near my hunting grounds). My favorite thing to do is get home, grab the truck, drive 5 miles, climb a good size hill and watch the sun go down and the deer come out.

I’d say a 7.

• Like 1

I was pretty 'die hard' bowhunter before when I lived in the land of fruits and nuts......but now that my wife and I are both retired, living full-time in God's Country (White Mountains), and we both bowhunt, I'd say a 9 or 10.  If we're not hunting something, we're out scouting new areas up here.  She arrowed a small buck up here on the last day of the season......next hunt for us is KS the beginning of November.....then more bowhunts in AZ at the end/beginning of the year.  Took me 30 years at my job to be able to get to this point.  Hopefully we both stay healthy and can continue with our hunting adventures.  Have I told you I LOVE this state?  :)

WHT_MTNMAN:

I sent you a PM a while back......you get it? 

• Like 2

I dont think so...I'll go back and look. The new layout may have caused me to miss it.

I have always been a 5 or so. I hunted hard four days last week and will be back at it tomorrow for four more then will close out next week for the last two days of the hunt. It was too hot last weekend and tons of hunters so now should be cooler and better. At 69 I ain't no spring chicken and things start hurting after a few miles.

While out on my muley bow hunt last week I got pictures from my wife of my prized elk rack with a sign that said "free" on them. She said she was putting them on the curb. No joke. So, with that kind of push back from your spouse it's pretty hard to be hard core. 

• Wow! 2

35 minutes ago, ZBAR said:

While out on my muley bow hunt last week I got pictures from my wife of my prized elk rack with a sign that said "free" on them. She said she was putting them on the curb. No joke. So, with that kind of push back from your spouse it's pretty hard to be hard core. 

Is she settling into her new place? Change can be hard.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ZBAR said:

I can't even comment.

11 hours ago, cw4192 said:

Thats ok!!  Embrace it Love it!  At least its better then 0

2 hours ago, ZBAR said:

Been married 14 years.  Wife puts up with it.  Early on it was a fight, and now that Im more established in life I make lot more $.  So for years every time I go out she would through the guilt trip on.  Now that I do better in life, I told her to drop the guilt/ complaining and I give her 100 bucks a night that Im gone.  I now usually hold on to all my cash jobs and just save it for hunting gear and days Im gone.  Now she gets all excited when I leave for 3 nights.  She knows she has 300 bones to go clothes shopping with.  :)  

I was once a 7 - 8. Hunted every thing I could for as much time as I could get. Scouted religiously and was out in the field every week even if it was just a half day.

Fast forward to now I'm hovering around a .5 - 1. If I have a tag I'm usually able to dedicate a weekend to it maybe three days. I mainly just focus on deer. Scouting is a rarity, I mostly just go somewhere close to the house and wing it.

My success rate has tailed off accordingly.

40 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

In some aspects, I am a 10.  In others, a 5.  So that makes me a solid 7.5.

I don’t know...I was thumbing through some old picture books at corner archery a few weeks ago. You’re  on every other page. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oz31p said:

I don’t know...I was thumbing through some old picture books at corner archery a few weeks ago. You’re  on every other page. 

Advertising is key to success regardless how well you perform :)

38 minutes ago, Zeke-BE said:

Advertising is key to success regardless how well you perform :)

Most of those photos are 20years old hand have not seen the light of day in years 

• Like 1