Zeke-BE

How Die Hard Of A Hunter are you??

I thought it would be a fun question to ask.  Ive met guys who go out every other weekend to scout and be out doors.  Then stay a whole 8-14 days on a hunt even if their hunt is only 6 days long.  I talked to a guy in elk camp this year and they take 2 weeks for Javalina.  They go before it starts, scout, hunt, and then hang out afterwards when the hunt is over.  I personally know So I Hunt on the forum and when its elk season he will be on his hunt a whole week before it starts so almost a total of 3 week hunt.  AKA takes it very seriously 

So from 1 through 10, while One is just a weekend warrior, never practice shooting, scouting, just shows up the day of the hunt and hopes for the best.  While Ten being the Die hard, scouting many days for their hunts, practice shooting their choice of weapon all the time, plans on hiking in or not afraid of it, plans on being there before the hunt and the entire time the hunt is on!  Now im not knocking anyone if they say they are a 1 weekend warrior.  There are times I do that!.  But I also get when I have a bigger hunt Im willing to scout more and stay lot longer then needed.

So as for me I would say Im a -----5------

• Like 1

Well as a self employed small business owner it is difficult for me to take a week off at a time. That being said I specifically live where I do so I can spend 5-6 days a week in the woods before and after work. I'm also a lousy hunter I just spend enough time to be successful every once in a while. 

• Like 5

Most of my friends who r die hard hunters are now divorced.  So gotta walk that fine line

• Like 20

I ask myself all the time how these guys who hunt every day for weeks straight every year do it. Not that we all wouldn't love to do it. But with a traditional job, kids, family etc. I just can't see how I could do it. So I do lots of long 3-4 day long weekends, go back to work for a few days, and then hit it again for 3-4 days. Sometimes I will stretch it to a week, but those are rare and on exceptional hunts. I am fortunate to get about 4 weeks of paid vacation time per year (lots of tenure at my job). But I can't be selfish and take all that time for myself. Even though my kids and wife enjoy the outdoors with me and most of our vacations are to the mountains, we still have to do family reunions, occasions theme parks, historical stuff, etc.

• Like 6

Just now, rossislider said:

I ask myself all the time how these guys who hunt every day for weeks straight every year do it. Not that we all wouldn't love to do it. But with a traditional job, kids, family etc. I just can't see how I could do it. So I do lots of long 3-4 day long weekends, go back to work for a few days, and then hit it again for 3-4 days. Sometimes I will stretch it to a week, but those are rare and on exceptional hunts. I am fortunate to get about 4 weeks a year of paid vacation time (lots of tenure at my job). But I can't be selfish and take all that time for myself. Even though my kids and wife enjoy the outdoors with me, we still have to do family reunions, occasions theme parks, historical stuff, etc.

Thats almost me to a T

18 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Well as a self employed small business owner it is difficult for me to take a week off at a time. That being said I specifically live where I do so I can spend 5-6 days a week in the woods before and after work. I'm also a lousy hunter I just spend enough time to be successful every once in a while. 

"Lousy hunter"... "successful every once in a while" SMH! If this is true, I REALLY SUCK!

2 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Most of the guys that I know that live in the woods are divorced and unemployed.

That sounds awesome😄

• Like 1

Thankfully my wife of 18 years also spends some time with me.

Her birthday was yesterday this is what we did since Wed.  My tag, her birthday. I'm a lucky guy

20180913_132631.jpg

Screenshot_20180918-163527_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20180913-201209_Gallery.jpg

20180915_191414.jpg

IMG_20180917_215742_089.jpg

20180918_153807.jpg

• Like 15
  • Great Buck! 1
  • Wow! 2

3 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Didnt mean to hi jack your thread...I was too lazy to start a new one. 

Maybe you should start a new thread. We need details. Congrats!

• Like 1

Well, i’m not married yet, so i don’t have to worry about it. I spend at least 20 weekends a year gone doing something hunting related with a few 10-14 day hunts sprinkled in there. I don’t go in more than a day or so before the hunt, because that’s why i scout a lot. I generally go home when i tag out unless i know someone else with a tag. I would like to say i’m an 8-9. 

• Like 2

Before Valley Fever I would say I was a solid 8, pushing up on 9. No tags this year and it’s probably for the best. Right now I’m sitting at a weak 4. 

• Like 1