AZelkdeer

Best AZ cartridge for AZ

In my personal opinion, I like a bit more bullet for elk/bison.  But a 6.5SAUM is amazing for everything else.  From coyotes to sheep, coues to mulies, Javis to antelope, lions to bears.

Lighter recoil, flat, fast, accurate, high BC 130-160gr bullets.  

I think a .280AI or 7RM range is about as perfect of an all-around gun as you can get for AZ game.  The heavier 160-184 bullets put those in the elk range.  Again, just my opinion.  I know a few guys who have killed elk with 6 5s of all kinds.

5 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

More than I'll ever need from a hunting rifle. 

I shoot a lot.  Did you gun smith give you an estimate.  I have heard good things about the 28 but I don’t want one if I’m going to burn the barrel out in 3 years...

As others have said it's more about the shooter and shot placement than actual caliber or cartridge. You can kill an elephant with a .22 and an elk shot bad with a supermagnum cannon is still going to run off !! my dad has always said beware of a man with only a few tools, like as not he knows how to use them. Sounds corny but spend your money on practice, in the long run that's where it's at!

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

There's not an animal in Arizona that I would feel nervous about shooting with my 28 Nosler.

Let’s not go dove hunting together.  Lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZelkdeer said:

What is the barrel life on a 28 nosler... I know other over bored cartridges have very limited barrel life <1500 rounds..

About the same as your 6.5 SAUM

If your planning on shooting with in 500 yards with elk which should be about 90% of all elk will be at anyways while hunting them the SAUM will work fine.  That being said I just like to match bullets up with Animals.  Bigger the animal bigger the bullet.  A perfect all around gun is a  .280AI  That will be my next build

5 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

Nobody is going to say it??

I'm waiting on it..........

• Like 1