AZelkdeer

Best trail cam bait?

Moved to AZ recently and looking to put out some of my trail cams.  Back east we baited with corn, what is the best attractants around here.  I was at sportsmanwarehouse and they were selling stuff like deer Caine.  Does that work or Would a mineral block work just as good.  Trying to find some of these Mule deer!! 

In the desert, water works too. I'd stay away from corn- it's illegal to use for hunting, and if you ask F&G about it in the off season you'll get different answers.

Deer caine? *shrugs*

It is probably best to read the regulations but yes anything besides salt for livestock is not to be used in the "take" of wildlife. 

• Like 3

It not illegal to sell deer caine, corn, water, salt.  But using anything else other than salt it is illegal .  Welcome to the West!  

• Like 1

Yep, water and salts. Salt is hit and miss though as some areas, such as where I live in 16a, the wildlife must get enough natural salt or cow salt around that they haven't paid much attention to what I have offered. Water works, but is the best way to get your camera stolen as well.

11 minutes ago, Sneaker said:

Yep, water and salts. Salt is hit and miss though as some areas, such as where I live in 16a, the wildlife must get enough natural salt or cow salt around that they haven't paid much attention to what I have offered. Water works, but is the best way to get your camera stolen as well.

Not if you make your own *little* pond on a good trail in the middle of nowhere!

Works wonders.

1 hour ago, AZelkdeer said:

Moved to AZ recently and looking to put out some of my trail cams.  Back east we baited with corn, what is the best attractants around here.  I was at sportsmanwarehouse and they were selling stuff like deer Caine.  Does that work or Would a mineral block work just as good.  Trying to find some of these Mule deer!! 

Oh brother....    Probably should read the regulations.    Good luck.  🙄

For pre-hunt photos, the best attractant is a tag in your safe.  But once season gets close and opens and you remove the tag from the safe and transfer it to your wallet, it quickly turns into a repellent.

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, AZelkdeer said:

Just hang the camera, thats all the bait needed for a thief.😏

• Like 1

It’s funny how many people I see at Sportsman’s buying all the deer attractants.  Either they don’t read regulations or don’t care.  

Brian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

water works better. 

Only when it is very dry.  Not when it has been raining. 

• Like 1