firstcoueswas80

Tucson knife sharpening

With hunts quickly approaching, I recently realized that my blades need a touch-up. I unfortunately have not mastered the skill of putting a good quality edge on a knife. Does anyone know of a place or a person in Tucson who can get a couple knives to a razor sharp edge? I know that Ace near my house does them for pretty cheap, that is the route that I'm looking at going. Any experiences with that?

I feel your pain. I can get them sharp but it is hit and miss and at a certain point they only get just so sharp. I had a friend who would get them shaving sharp but he move to Iowa a long time ago.

Don't think I would use a belt sander on a knife blade, myself. A lot of it has to do the the quality of the steel of your knife. Some of them can get pretty sharp and then be dull after you pick your finger nails. I have S30V steel on my hunting knife and it is only sharpened on a stone. You can tell if someone gets both edges right on a knife, it will about slice your finger tip off, when you check the blade. Helps to have a decent stone also!

0922182103.jpg

• Haha 1

There won't always be a knife sharpening expert or power outlet in the field with you when you discover your blade needs edged. 

Buy a whetstone or water stone. They are often 400-600 grit (rough) on one side and 1000 opposite.. Draw it with the edge at a 22.5` to the stone and pull at a 45` towards you

I wear a leather belt that doubles as a good strop and have an unglazed porcelen coffee cup in my camp box for finishing edges.

If your blade sharpens but won't hold an edge it's likely not high enough in carbon content and therefore not hard enough to retain an edge. Common in file made and Damascus composite blades.

13 hours ago, mulie hunter said:

Work sharp knife sharpener

Sportsmans warehouse in Tucson. 

I bought one and its awesome!

Had one. Did more harm than good, even following instructions.

16 hours ago, oz31p said:

http://www.rmsgear.com/service/knife-sharpening/ 

theses guys sharpend my broadheads so well I get a nick if I look at them wrong

Thanks for the link! I'm going to follow up with the local Ace Hardware, if that doesn't work out I'm going to drop my knives in the mail to those guys!

2 hours ago, mulie hunter said:

Wow mine works great. Not sure why yours didn't work. 

Might also just be me. I'm not good at that type of stuff.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 9:20 PM, 10Turkeys said:

Don't think I would use a belt sander on a knife blade, myself. A lot of it has to do the the quality of the steel of your knife. Some of them can get pretty sharp and then be dull after you pick your finger nails. I have S30V steel on my hunting knife and it is only sharpened on a stone. You can tell if someone gets both edges right on a knife, it will about slice your finger tip off, when you check the blade. Helps to have a decent stone also!

I ordered a 110 from Bucks Custom Shop last month for my son's birthday last month and it will be here tomorrow. I ordered the S30V blade. I have  a Japanese Water Stone, I think it is 5000. Hopefully that will put an edge on it when it gets dull.

There used to be a shop at Prince and Fairview that sharpened. Was going to run my kitchen knives down there soon, don't have any experience other than buying a few blades from the old guy.

On 9/23/2018 at 8:28 PM, firstcoueswas80 said:

Thanks for the link! I'm going to follow up with the local Ace Hardware, if that doesn't work out I'm going to drop my knives in the mail to those guys!

How'd it go with Ace hardware knife sharpening service?

Kent