We23s

Newbie Western hunter

Another newbie asking for advice I know, but here is the story. I’m an Southeastern whitetail and turkey hunter looking to try a West bow hunt. I’m looking at an archery javelina and deer hunt in Arizona. I’ve been doing as much internet scouting I can from across the country. I have been looking at trying units 31,32, or 33 for Javelina and Coues this coming year. I will be taking a two wheel drive van. I was hoping for advice about a unit that leans itself to a mostly hiking hunt that a 2wheeler can get to.

Game and Fish “where to hunt” has been a great place for me to start. Happy Valley in unit 33 looks interesting. They say something about Redrock Tank for hiking in hunt. Does anyone know where or what that is? I haven’t been able to locate it from KY on the interweb.

I know I’m asking a lot with really nothing I can give back. I hope to  do this kind of hunt more than once, and I would hope to share more later. Plus, I’m more than willing to help if anyone  wants to hunt whitetail on WMA land in KY. I do that kind of hunt pretty successful every year. I know it is not what all you guys need, but it’s all this Western newbie can offer right now.
I’m going to give it a shot no matter what, but any help would be very helpful. I’m really excited about giving your guys country a try. 
Thanks!
  • Like 1

Unit 31 is pretty 2wd Friendly. I hunted it with my ranger lots of times. Just hike and glass. Lots of deer. As many pigs as anywhere else.

Good luck!

• Like 3

Seen a few watering holes on Google Pro and hoping my stock 4x4 F150 can handle the trail. I’ve never been out in unit 33 so it’s going to be very interesting.

I spoke with a rancher in that area and he said he hasn’t seen more than 2 pigs in a group in a very long time since a disease broke out.  After that he quit putting in for them down there.  He also said Javelina don’t go down that far south?  

Was he pulling my leg I wonder?  

If anyone has some input it would be much appreciated.  This will be my Fathers first hunt at the age of 66 and I’m hoping the blood thinners he takes won’t tucker him out.

V/R,

1 hour ago, BigTallGuy said:

I too will be checking out Happy Valley as well.  Seen a few watering holes on Google Pro and hoping my stock 4x4 F150 can handle the trail. I’ve never been out in unit 33 so it’s going to be very interesting.

I spoke with a rancher in that area and he said he hasn’t seen more than 2 pigs in a group in a very long time since a disease broke out.  After that he quit putting in for them down there.  He also said Javelina don’t go down that far south?  

If anyone has some input it would be much appreciated.  This will be my Fathers first hunt at the age of 66 and I’m hoping the blood thinners he takes won’t tucker him out.

V/R,

Trust me, there are Javelina all the way from Williams in Northern AZ to 150 miles south of the Mexican border.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigTallGuy said:

I too will be checking out Happy Valley as well.  Seen a few watering holes on Google Pro and hoping my stock 4x4 F150 can handle the trail. I’ve never been out in unit 33 so it’s going to be very interesting.

V/R,

I also don't know of any disease that "broke out"....

Javelina are susceptible to a long list of diseases like rabies, brucellosis, leptospirosis and a few others.

There are javelina in the southern part of unit 33. I just found a herd today and stuck my first one. I can not thank the people from this site enough. Big Browns is an hunting angel from above. I hope to be able to repay. 

3751582E-929E-4770-907A-DFE0E9DAE24E.jpeg

• Like 6