Sign in to follow this  
Sneaker

Elk hunting in the rain tips

Looks like I'll be trying to hunt in the rain some or all of Monday-Wednesday. Hopefully there are some breaks in the storms and the elk are feeling vocal. Any tips or tricks? Should the elk be acting pretty normal if its just a light rain?

Stay dry, or as dry as possible...

• Like 1

Still hunt the edges of feeding areas in the morning and evenings. Still hunt bedding areas midday. Be more aggressive than usual when you hear a bugle. Shoot a giant. Then go to the bar and dry off. 

• Like 4

I love hunting during the rain, and have found animals to be quite active.  The last bull I killed was in a moderate to heavy rain.  It had rained softly all day, and we were in elk all day.  I passed 4 bulls prior to taking him.  Move slow and you can walk right up on them during a storm.  If you are archery hunting, be sure to wear your rain gear while practicing to be comfortable for the real thing.  Also, if there is a lot of lightning, get out!

• Like 1

If the ground gets really saturated, you know the stuff that makes you sink deep, the elk will not move much. They hate it too. Stay in camp.  If just wet, elk love that.

Make a clean shot. Tracking in the rain sucks.