Sign in to follow this  
muleybowhunter

ear tag on a cow elk

Yup she's number 50. Probably a transplant, they tag them and mark where they released it, then when it gets shot you call the game and fish with the tag number and location of kill, and a few other things. Then they can see how far they will move over the years. My brother in nephew shot a bull with a tag in 23 that was released in 6a

6 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Yup she's number 50. Probably a transplant, they tag them and mark where they released it, then when it gets shot you call the game and fish with the tag number and location of kill, and a few other things. Then they can see how far they will move over the years. My brother in nephew shot a bull with a tag in 23 that was released in 6a

so transplant from another state? or somewhere from az?

The G&F also use ear tags and collars for tracking movements for highway projects.  I-17 the large fence ADOT built, the elk flashing sign on 260 past star valley, the bighorn sheep over pass on the way to Las Vegas.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, muleybowhunter said:

so transplant from another state? or somewhere from az?

This was az, I was told they try to move the jean's  around and nuisance animals

Interesting story , I killed a Bull in Unit 9 a few years back and the Bull had an ear tag,, I called G&F to see what was up, they said they tagged the Bull by Munds Park area and went all the way up to unit 9.

The Bull was about 7 years old......

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

21 hours ago, wildwoody said:

This was az, I was told they try to move the jean's  around and nuisance animals

i wondered if it was a nuisance thing also. i wonder if g&f would be willing to tell me where she was tagged?

A friend in the know tells me that the Department does not transplant elk within the state (hasn't for many many years).  In fact if you watch what the Department does for elk management, most of the strategy is to limit further expansion.  Nor does the Department move nuisance elk like they do javelina.  I'm told this is an elk that at one time had a radio collar on it to track movement.  The collars fall off after a couple years, but the tag remains.  Also, the elk was likely in 1, 7, or 27...where most of the recent collar work was done.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Javelinasports said:

Interesting story , I killed a Bull in Unit 9 a few years back and the Bull had an ear tag,, I called G&F to see what was up, they said they tagged the Bull by Munds Park area and went all the way up to unit 9.

The Bull was about 7 years old......

fascinating. 

49 minutes ago, 1uglydude said:

A friend in the know tells me that the Department does not transplant elk within the state (hasn't for many many years).  In fact if you watch what the Department does for elk management, most of the strategy is to limit further expansion.  Nor does the Department move nuisance elk like they do javelina.  I'm told this is an elk that at one time had a radio collar on it to track movement.  The collars fall off after a couple years, but the tag remains.  Also, the elk was likely in 1, 7, or 27...where most of the recent collar work was done.

I can see that, she is south of the 40, looks like she traveled a bit if she was in 7.

44 minutes ago, muleybowhunter said:

I can see that, she is south of the 40, looks like she traveled a bit if she was in 7.

There were also some collared in 6B as part of the I-17 crossing project.

• Like 1